At Oaktown Spice Shop, we offer customers the freshest, most delicious, high-quality spices and hand-mixed spice blends in the Bay Area. Our apothecary-style shop feels authentic and unique, with a focus on the craft of great food, adding to customers’ enjoyment of the shopping experience and increasing their enjoyment of home cooking. For our wholesale and restaurant customers, we also provide quicker and more responsive service than our competitors. Our staff members’ love of cooking and spices creates a personal, expert-inspired experience that helps our customers discover what remarkable dishes to make for dinner in a fun and enriching way.
The floor manager is an exceptionally warm, creative and hard-working person committed to our mission of delivering the best quality with the highest level of hospitality. We believe teamwork and a natural desire to be of service are two of the cornerstones of our success. We want people to feel great working here, so we need a capable and culture-driven leader to help us accomplish this goal. The floor manager assists the store manager in supervising a team of spice associates.
KEY DUTIES (include, but not limited to)
- Assists store manager with providing a strong leadership presence on the floor, ensuring that front-of-house production tasks are prioritized, organized and executed every day
- Manages and trains spice associates, including temporary seasonal staff
- Offers feedback to spice leads and spice associates as needed
- Works with the store manager to create a culture of trust and hard work where no problem is unsolvable and people feel proud every day of what they’ve accomplished
- Helps the store manager ensure that the shop is clean, well-organized, properly stocked, and that products are attractively displayed
- Responsible for ensuring that customers feel cared for – they are greeted, assisted and get their questions answered
- Assists the store manager in assigning foodservice, restaurant and special orders and ensuring their accuracy and timeliness
- Enforces the use of organizational systems to ensure that workflow is smooth and efficient
- Helps store manager maintain controls over cash
- Helps manage pop-ups and cooking demos offered at the shop (1-2 per month pre-COVID)
- Corresponds with customers via email and phone
- Prepares, troubleshoots and ships mail orders
- Opens and closes the store as needed
- Assists store manager, operations manager, and director of operations with developing and updating systems, stocking lists, labels, training guides and operations manuals
- Collaborates and communicates with the Production team as needed on ongoing production projects.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Leadership experience
- Ability to develop and motivate a team
- Excellent organization and time-management skills
- Able to handle critical customer situations with ease
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Availability to work weekends, evenings and holidays and adhere to a blackout period from the day after Thanksgiving until Christmas Eve
- Seeks out feedback and is excited about self-growth and improvement within the context of the job
- Resourceful problem-solver and strong ability to resolve issues in the moment
- Passion for food and cooking
- Food-related work experience
- Experience in retail or foodservice management
ADDITIONAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Occasionally requires the ability to move, lift, carry, pull or push heavy objects or materials
- Lift up to 50 pounds unassisted
- Must be able to stand for 8+ hours
Full-time: This is a full-time, hourly position. We offer benefits including health insurance, dental, sick time, paid time off and matching retirement savings.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for positions without regard to veteran status, uniformed service member status, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.