SACNAS is currently seeking an exceptional individual who desires to work within a dynamic and diverse nonprofit environment to develop and advance social media and public relations strategy in accordance with SACNAS’ strategic plan, particularly to “Broaden National Presence and Voice.”
The Social Media & PR Manager will work closely with the Director of Communications & Marketing and the Communications & Marketing team to advance SACNAS’ position as a thought leader in the STEM diversity space. The successful candidate will understand the importance of social media related to public relations and will maximize SACNAS' social media platforms to generate engagement with stakeholders, influencers, and the media. The Social Media & PR Manager will utilize media with the goals of helping SACNAS grow brand recognition, identifying and engaging with the press, increasing membership engagement, promoting organizational programs, and amplifying fundraising efforts. They will assist in the development of a public relations strategy, build and maintain media contact lists, and create compelling content. The Social Media & PR Manager will also pull data/insights from SACNAS’ social media channels to determine efficacy of work and provide recommendations for improvement in terms of social media, PR strategy, and overall organizational communications.
The Social Media & PR Manager is a full‐time, exempt position and reports to the Director of Communications & Marketing.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop and implement social media strategy in alignment with overall communications plan
- Ensure consistency in organizational voice, aesthetics, and brand standards across multiple social media channels
- Use historical data to create compelling, persuasive, relevant, and accurate communications content
- Responsible for posting and day-to-day engagement on all SACNAS social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Medium, Snapchat), and responding to stakeholder inquiries and comments as close to real time as possible and as needed
- Work with the Communications & Membership Manager to collaborate on programmatic marketing campaign strategy and implement on social media accordingly
- Identify, track, and engage with social media influencers and journalists
- Live social media coverage for events as needed
- Conduct social media trainings for staff, board, and members
- Stay abreast of latest trends in social media, emerging technologies, and nonprofit communications
- Responsible for social media reports and analytics
Public Relations & Media Affairs
- Assist in the development of public relations and media strategy in alignment with overall communications plan
- Build and foster relationships with journalists and producers across traditional and online media channels to increase awareness of SACNAS
- Build and maintain media contact list
- Maintain and build out the SACNAS Story Bank, an internal database of SACNAS members willing to engage with press
- Work with media relations contractor to develop, write and/or approve messaging for press releases and pitches, talking points, social media accounts, speeches, media statements, op-eds, letters to the editor, etc.
- Field media requests
- Position SACNAS leaders and members as subject matter experts
- Monitor and track media coverage
- Organize and co-lead media briefings and press conferences
- Support media coaching for Board, staff, and members
Critical Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of current social media platforms and tools
- Demonstrated understanding of emerging online trends and technologies
- Ability to craft creative, clear, and compelling content
- Rapid problem-solving skills
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to receive and incorporate direct feedback
- Excellent organizational and project management skills; ability to meet deadlines, and to help others meet their deadlines
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to analyze data and make recommendations for improved strategy
- Ability to travel occasionally as needed
- Strong commitment to, and alignment with, the SACNAS mission
Preferred Technical Skills
- Skills in graphic design, project management software, Microsoft Office, and multiple social media platforms (Canva, Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe Photoshop a plus)
- Knowledge of media relations services such as Cision, Meltwater, etc.
- CMS, web publishing and design (HTML), third-party email design, and distribution systems are a plus
- Knowledge of how to track and monitor data analytics
Desired Education & Experience
- Ambition to work with diverse communities and a passion for the mission of SACNAS
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, or related field
- 3-5 years of demonstrated experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including persuasive abilities, effective listening, conflict management, diplomacy and tact, and a teamwork mentality
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to deliver clear, concise information tailored to specific and varied audiences
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to use data to “tell the story”
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills, including being detail oriented
- Ability to work independently and also operate efficiently and effectively within a collaborative team environment
- Ability to utilize sound judgment, solve problems, make decisions, take action, and implement effective time management solutions
- Enjoy working in a very fast‐paced, highly dynamic environment with a proven skill sets of creativity and innovation
Work Location, Expected Travel, and Salary Range
- Ideal locations of this position are Santa Cruz, CA or Washington, DC; however, other major cities may be considered. Remote work option available.
- Travel throughout the United States will be necessary
- Occasional evening or weekend work
- Salary Range: $55,000 to $65,000
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Plans
- Eleven Paid Holidays
- Generous Paid Time Off
- 401(k) Retirement
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line – Social Media & PR Manager.
Application Deadline – Open until filled. Priority hire by 2/15/2020.
Organization Website – www.sacnas.org
SACNAS Diversity & Inclusion Statement
Diversity and inclusion are more than just words to SACNAS. They are integral parts of our history, culture, and identity. They are the principles that founded our organization and guide our strategic path forward. We continually seek and maintain a culture that reflects the rich diversity of our country. We look for and celebrate diverse voices, experiences, backgrounds, and talents. We believe that an inclusive organization is one where all people feel empowered to be their full, authentic selves. Simply put, everyone is welcome at SACNAS.
It is the policy of SACNAS not to discriminate against any individual employee, group of employees or prospective employee for reasons of race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, age, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical or mental or sensory disability, genetic information, military status or any other consideration protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
SACNAS is committed to providing equal opportunities in all employment-related activities including, but not limited to: recruiting, hiring, advancement, compensation, training, benefits, transfers, and terms of employment. SACNAS promotes equal opportunities for all employees and applicants for employment. Further, SACNAS will fully comply with all applicable equal employment federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans (SACNAS) was founded in 1973 and is the largest multicultural and multidisciplinary STEM diversity organization in the country. SACNAS is an inclusive organization dedicated to fostering the success of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans, from college students to professionals, in attaining advanced degrees, careers, and positions of leadership in STEM. SACNAS serves a growing community of over 8,000 active members, 115+ student and professional chapters, and nearly 20,000 supporters and allies throughout the United States and Puerto Rico. SACNAS influences the STEM diversity movement through STEM outreach & advocacy, promotion of STEM leaders, and production of The SACNAS National Diversity in STEM Conference.