Under the general supervision of the Controller, the Payroll/Benefits Administrator performs a variety of professional administrative and accounting work with emphasis on technical tasks related to payroll and benefits and preparation of payroll financial reports, statements, and special financial analysis.
This position requires a highly motivated, detail oriented individual who is excellent with numbers, is a strong communicator, and strives for excellence in a dynamic museum environment.
Does not supervise staff
· Coordinates the daily operation of the organization’s payroll system and serves as principal liaison with third-party provider, troubleshooting system issues and periodically updating system set up as needed.
· Reviews biweekly time entries, checks employee self-service entry errors for completeness and compliance with established standards and procedures, verifies that supervisors have approved same by deadline, and notifies staff and supervisors of missing or unapproved time. Reviews payroll register for duplicate checks or other errors. Enters manual checks, as may be necessary.
· Processes, calculates, and posts a variety of payroll actions including wage garnishments, payments due for benefits during periods of unpaid leave, payroll liability claims, overtime and holiday hours worked; balances and corrects payroll reports.
· Enters manual adjustments to leave accruals as may periodically be required for exempt employees working holiday or extra hours.
· Updates system setup each year as part of benefit open enrollment process and develops materials to help employees understand rates.
· Participates in analysis of benefit options during annual benefit selection process; reviews open enrollment data to ensure proper benefits and rates have been employed for each employee prior to the start of the relevant fiscal year; maintains contracts and invoices for all institutional benefits programs; reviews monthly benefit statements to ensure that billing reflects updated employee census; reconciles benefit statements against payroll register to verify that employee deductions and employer contributions match premiums charged; serves as point person with third-party benefits administrators to resolve invoicing errors.
· Reviews and reconciles ACH transactions associated with Flexible Spending accounts.
· Reviews and reconciles biweekly transfers of employee contributions, employer safe harbor contributions, and employer matching contributions for organizational retirement plan. Reconciles retirement system report to payroll; makes adjusting entries; processes the agency’s retirement report; verifies changes to earning to be reported; makes necessary adjustment.
· Maintains a variety of files and records related to the payroll system; calculates and enters accruals; prepares payroll postings to the general ledger.
· Prepares semi-monthly payroll and all related payroll reports including tax deposits, 941 quarterly filings, and W-2's and other year-end reports; reconciles 941 quarterly reports to the general ledger.
· Investigates employee direct deposit ACH returns
· Prepares accounting records and financial and statistical reports related to payroll.
· Researches and analyzes regulatory updates and other information impacting the payroll system; implements required changes to system.
· Serves as liaison with financial institutions, auditors and departments and offices regarding payroll-related issues.
· Prepares and adjusts journal entries to balance payroll accounts; prepares ACH transfers.
· Aids independent auditors in their performance of annual audit; answers questions, locates materials, explains procedures and policies as requested.
· Reviews worker’s compensation codes on a regular basis with human resources and aids for the annual worker’s compensation audits
· Backs up Accountant’s job duties.
· Responsible for initiating and maintaining records in the event of an extreme emergency or disaster.
Performs related duties as assigned.
Competency or Position Requirements
Knowledge of the fundamentals of Human Resources and payroll related transactions. Knowledge of professional accounting principles and procedures. Knowledge of the general principles of non-profit financial administration including the budgetary process, reporting requirements and cost accounting techniques. Knowledge of computerized accounting systems, operating activities and fiscal programs of the Museum. Knowledge of sources of information and accounting techniques used in the preparation of fiscal reports
Work Environment/Physical Demands
Office environment; largely a sedentary role, sitting most of the day in front of a computer
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position working a regular day time shift
No travel anticipated
Job Requirements (Education, Experience, Certification)
Education and Experience
Associate degree is required; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
3 + years human resources experience with concentration in payroll is required.
Previous experience with Paylocity or other payroll systems are a plus.
Previous experience with Financial Edge is a plus
Experience with personal computer software applications (spreadsheet and/or data manager) related to payroll/accounting, and work experience in a museum non-profit organization is highly desirable.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to:
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, age, disability, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, status as a victim of domestic violence, dating violence or stalking, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.