INVITATION FOR BID:
California Sustainability in Prisons Project (SPP) Lead
Invitation Number: SPPCA122019
Status: Part time position (approximately 500 hours total from January – October 2020)
Closing date: December 20, 2019
The Institute for Applied Ecology is a dynamic nonprofit organization founded in 1999 whose mission is to conserve native species and habitats through restoration, research and education. We fill a unique niche among nonprofits and work with a diverse group of partners including federal, state and county agencies and municipalities to accomplish our mission. Our main office is in Corvallis, OR and our Southwest office is in Santa Fe, NM.
Contract Summary: The Contractor will support IAE’s Sustainability in Prisons Project (SPP), a multi-state, multi-partner effort to improve habitat for wildlife and engage diverse incarcerated people in pro-social action, conservation science, and vocational training.
The contractor will lead the SPP’s Mojave Desert Native Seed Project at the California City Correctional Facility. This project improves habitat for the threatened desert tortoise by engaging incarcerated individuals in the seed production of native plants that the tortoise eats. Incarcerated crew members will propagate several native plant species and harvest seeds to add to a seed bank. The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) will be using the seeds to restore desert tortoise habitat.
The Contractor must have their own vehicle and be able to travel to the prison. Mileage will be reimbursed at the current federal rate. The Contractor will need to be registered in the federal SAM (System for Awards Management) database and have a DUNS (Data Universal Number System) number before the contract start date.
Contract will start January 6, 2020 and end October 31st 2020.
• Coordinate with Institute for Applied Ecology (IAE) for program planning at the prison
• Participate in California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) security and safety training as needed
• Coordinate training of incarcerated crew members, provide relevant education materials, and act as intermediary between incarcerated crew members, CDCR, and IAE
• Implement seeding and initial care of plants with incarcerated crew members
• Work on-site with incarcerated crew members to review plant health, develop solutions to challenges, meet with partners and incarcerated crew members, and deliver lectures and on-site vocational training in the prison. Keep activity log for each facility up to date.
• Monitor progress “on the ground” (sowing, daily care, thinning, fertilizing, preparation for seed collection).
• Work with team to identify and problem solve program related issues
• Track supply needs and submit order requests
• Communicate with DOC program lead, IAE staff and/or regarding program status, technical difficulties, and any behavior issues
• Collect seeds as they are ready with incarcerated crew members
Contractor is and shall be an Independent Contractor. While performing the work or services provided, Contractor or Contractor's employees shall not be construed as being IAE employee(s) for any purpose, including but not limited to the accrual of any employee benefits such as health insurance, life insurance, retirement or vacation time. As an Independent Contractor, Contractor assumes full responsibility for making all necessary federal, state and social security tax payments and will file all returns and forms required in connection with compensation received in connection with this Agreement.
Preference will be given to those with:
• Bachelor’s degree in biology, natural resources, forestry, horticulture or a related field.
• Current US driver’s license.
• California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) training and clearance.
• Ability to successfully pass a criminal background check and ongoing compliance with Federal, State and Local statutes (required for working in prisons).
• Horticulture experience, especially with Mojave desert native plant propagation and seed collection.
• Leadership or management experience
• Positive willingness to work with incarcerated individuals at minimum and medium security facilities.
• Positive willingness to work with people of diverse backgrounds.
• Experience with data collection.
• Ability to lift up to 30 lbs and work in outdoor conditions while standing or stooping.
HOW TO APPLY
You must complete the online application form at: https://forms.gle/twCkQjAWSyoQLM8T8 . In addition, you need to submit a resume as a single PDF document emailed with the subject line “SPPCA122019 Application.”
Applications must be received by December 20, 2019. INCOMPLETE BIDS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
If you have any questions, please contact us
Cole Hardware is looking to hire full-time sales associate for our Rockridge location. The Successful applicant will be dedicated to providing outstanding customer service and becoming a valued member of our team.
The primary responsibilities of the sales associate position are to maintain outstanding customer service, generate sales, stock product, maintain well-stocked departments, and support the store management team.We especially encourage you to apply if you have knowledge in any of the following areas: Nursery and Garden.
Sales associates should:
Planted Design is a full service firm in Emeryville, California that is focused on creating beautiful, functional and sustainable moss art pieces and living walls. We bring nature to unexpected places, and we believe in cultivating our people and promoting from within so that their roles with us are more than just jobs.
We are hiring a team member to join our Production & Plant Maintenance teams. This role will spend roughly half of the time doing in-house art production, under the direction of the Production Manager. This involves full days of installing mosses onto different mediums and other custom pieces while standing, as well as regularly participating in project installations. You will be instructed on design parameters and be asked to follow exact instructions; attention to detail and ability to follow direction are essential.
The other half of this role involves maintaining living wall installations and potted plants at various client locations around the Bay Area, under the direction of the Living Wall Manager. You must be an experienced horticulturist with a vast knowledge of plant care and be proactive about troubleshooting and self-education in order to ensure that our clients’ projects don’t just survive, but grow and thrive. Ideally, you are familiar with various integrated pest management techniques and irrigation systems, and are eager to learn more about them. This role requires a professional demeanor while interfacing with clients and an attentiveness to plant health with an eye for detail, an ability to problem solve, and a strong work ethic.
Plant Maintenance Technician
Time & Compensation
We are a local retail nursery featuring succulents, cactus, bamboos, drought-tolerant perennials, shrubs and so much more!
We provide a high level of service every day: offering help in selecting plants and explaining how to take care of them, how to plant them, what fertilizers to use, and what plants work well together. We prefer applicants have a demonstrated interest in plants from a professional or educational background - i.e. have you worked at a nursery? Taken Horticulture classes? Volunteered at a Botanic Garden? Let us know! It's not a deal-breaker if you don't have that experience because above all else we're really looking for great salespeople.
We are looking for friendly, outgoing, intelligent people who want to share their passion for plants with our customers. We also want people who will enjoy getting their hands dirty while learning about the plants we grow and sell. We are plant nerds and we love getting other people excited about growing plants! This passion and level of customer service is what our customers have come to expect from us.
We provide competitive wages based on experience and we offer full benefits. Weekends are required.
If you enjoy working with the public, plants, and a fun team, please submit your resume AND cover letter. Tell us about you!
Please do not drop your resume off or call the nursery.