VOLUNTEER WHEELS - SONOMA COUNTY PARATRANSIT DRIVERS WANTED
Reporting to the Director of Volunteer Wheels, the driver is responsible for driving a paratransit vehicle and assisting disabled, frail and elderly clients on and off the vehicle. Drivers will handle clients in wheelchairs and operate wheelchair lifts and ramps on a daily basis. Due to the nature of our services and diverse clientele, Paratransit Driver positions require a flexible schedule. Paratransit Drivers must thrive in compassionately making a difference in the lives of others, communicate with integrity and grace while under pressure, and enjoy working within a team culture. A commercial license is NOT required for this position.
Why Work for Volunteer Wheels Volunteer Wheels is a place which truly appreciates their employees and the hard work they do every day. If you are looking for meaningful work, want to serve the Sonoma County community or just want to work alongside others who are as dedicated as you are, this is the job for you. No prior experience is required, we’ll train you.
· Assist passengers on and off vehicles
· Ensure the safety of disabled or frail clients by providing appropriate physical support
· Push, pull and steer large wheelchairs up and down ramps
· Operate wheelchair lifts and properly secure wheelchairs in vehicles
· Accurately record and maintain paperwork
· Communicate using a two-way radio system
· Promptly report vehicle repair needs
· Demonstrate a positive, open and support attitude to clients and co-workers
· Participate in ongoing staff development for Volunteer Wheels personnel
· Attend and participate in regular Volunteer Center all staff meetings
· High School Diploma/GED required
· Possess a valid State of California Class B or C driver’s license (CDL)
· Have an acceptable Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) H-6 report and insurability at normal risk rates
· Thorough knowledge of traffic laws and defensive driving techniques
· Ability to safely drive various vehicles under varying weather conditions
· Willingness to drive up to 200+ miles per day around Sonoma County
· Successfully complete a pre-employment Department of Transportation (DOT) drug test and physical
· Ongoing compliance with Department of Transportation FTA required drug screening
· Successfully complete a safety road test administered by center (post-hire)
· Familiarity with geographical area and the ability to read street maps and GPS
· Achieve and maintain CPR and First Aid certification
· Sensitivity and compassion for elderly and physically and/or emotionally disabled individuals
· Ability to use good judgment and work independently
· Flexibility and willingness to work for and with a variety of people
· Experience working with elderly and disabled desired
· Knowledge of HIPAA rules and regulations desired
· Volunteer or community service experience desired
Hours and Travel: Volunteer Wheels is a seven-day a week operation. We offer both part-time and full-time positions (5 days/week).
Schedules may vary. Transportation runs Monday through Friday 6:00am – 8:00pm; Saturday and Sunday 7:00am – 6:00pm.