Summary: Kara seeks an individual who desires to be an integral member of our team providing bereavement support in English and Spanish to grieving adults, children and families affected by the death of a significant relationship. Flexing service time between two growing programs, the Spanish Services & Community Outreach Associate will: a) work under the supervision of the Spanish Services Director to ensure efficient and effective client support is delivered through our Spanish Services program, and b) work under the supervision of the Community Outreach Director, participating in the preparation, execution, and follow-up of crisis response interventions in the community following a tragedy or death, and supporting training and education events. A passion for our mission of serving the bereaved combined with proven interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills are keys for success.
The duties of the Spanish Services & Community Outreach Associate will include but are not limited to the following:
Essential Job Duties/Responsibilities
▪ Facilitate individual and group grief support debriefings (within three months of initial training), for clients in the community impacted by death and loss.
▪ Conduct administrative and operational tasks related to crisis response and Spanish services requests, including follow up communications with clients and timely entry of organizational information, statistics, and service evaluations in agency database.
▪ Assist in enlisting, coordinating, and preparing Kara’s crisis response team members in response to a service request
▪ During crisis response events, oversee and monitor the service team’s work, and ensure appropriate resources and materials are prepared & distributed.
▪ After each crisis response event, debrief team members, and communicate with the Community Outreach Director.
▪ Assist with training, supporting, and recruiting new Community Outreach crisis response team members and Spanish Services volunteers.
▪ Organizes, attends and/or participates in special outreach events that promote and advocate the Spanish services program as well as educational trainings and presentations.
▪ Manages and maintains all Spanish services related materials, supplies and site resources.
▪ Maintains current information on community and social services resources that supplement grief services and the needs in the community.
▪ Collaborates with interagency programs and utilizes additional resources to complete tasks in promoting and marketing Spanish services.
▪ Establishes, collaborates, builds and maintains strong partnerships with other grief support, wellness and community organizations.
▪ Assists with the facilitation, implementation and coordination of Spanish services community peer support groups.
Qualifications (Values, Skills, and Abilities)
▪ Keen understanding of Kara's mission and a commitment to our guiding values of empathy and compassion
▪ Fluency in Spanish and English
▪ A client-centered and culturally attuned appreciation for the challenges of individuals and families navigating loss and grief
▪ Flexible, resourceful and innovative; strong initiative and follow-through skills
▪ Excellent interpersonal skills; a team player and a team builder
▪ Positive attitude and sense of humor
▪ Quick to learn, and devise or apply ideas; and willingness to ask for help
▪ Strong verbal and written communication skills
▪ Ability to work successfully under pressure in unpredictable service locations and with minimal supervision
▪ Excellent organizational, time management, planning and problem solving skills
▪ Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Apps Suite (mail, calendar, tasks, drive file stream, docs), Internet navigation, and Database (cloud & software) applications,
▪ Ability to embrace and maintain confidentiality
▪ High standard of professionalism and integrity
▪ Ability to work evenings and weekends periodically
Education and Experience
▪ Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent work experience)
▪ Languages: English and Spanish (Bi-lingual)
▪ Experience working with Hispanic, at risk, underserved populations or understanding of cultural and social factors affecting these communities.
▪ Experience working with community organizations a plus
▪ Experience as a Kara volunteer or similar program requiring understanding of grief and loss support structures a plus