SUMMARY: Lead Instructors plan and execute our cooking classes, camps, parties and other programs both on- and off-site.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Create procedures for cooking programs and calculate recipe breakdowns
● Prep and set up for programs (food, tools, and space - and proper packing of food and bins for offsites)
● Instruct all programs with proper techniques, age-appropriate, engaging dialogue and relevant food facts (and adapt procedure mid-program if needed)
● Support other Lead Instructors as needed in back-of-house (prep, cooking, plating, etc.)
● Ensure food sanitation and safety standards are being followed at all times, including awareness and accommodation of allergies
● Ensure proper timing and flow of programs
● Maintain food quality (follow recipe and make sure it tastes good)
● Maintain a peaceful and fun learning environment using positive discipline techniques
● Ensure cleanliness of the kitchen and classrooms before, during and after programs
● Assist with dishes, laundry, and waste disposal throughout the day, as well as end of day closing procedures and periodic deep cleaning tasks
● Give direction to Class Assistants so they can provide the needed support
● Manage check in/out process of camps
● Lead field trips during camp as needed and ensure safety of children
● Arrange appropriate transportation for offsite programs (both with kids on field trips and for instructors only on offsites)
● Maintain current knowledge of basic information about all programs
● Communicate with customers (adults and children) as appropriate
● Assist with administrative and gardening tasks as needed
● Run hands-on cooking projects and represent Kids' Table at street festivals, farmers markets, and other public events
● Honor The Kids’ Table mission and values in all tasks and interactions
● Assist with promotional efforts
● Bring the positive energy and collaborative spirit to work every day
● This job has no direct reports.
● Indirectly supervises 3-6 employees.
● Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organizations policies and applicable laws.
● Responsibilities include planning, assigning and directing work.
● Associates Degree (AA) or equivalent from a two-year culinary arts program, or six months to one year related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience can be formal/professional or someone who is a strong home cook.
● Experience working with children is preferred; strong comfort level interacting with children is required.
● Certificates, licenses and trainings required: ServSafe Food Handler Certificate (can be obtained upon hire), completion of Mandated Reporter training, and any other required certifications or trainings as needed
Other skills required:
o Ability to work in teams and communicate clearly with managers and other team members
o Ability to work calmly and effectively under pressure
o Ability to stand and exert fast-paced mobility for entire shift
o Strong belief that learning and growth are keys to personal and professional success, and willingness and ability to share with and teach others
o Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
o Passion for The Kids’ Table mission, pride in doing good work, positive attitude, and belief that customer satisfaction comes first
Do you LOVE cooking? Do you LOVE working with children? Do you have an upbeat, can-do, positive, energetic personality? Can you teach a child how to cook, without cooking for them?
If you answered "YES"; to these questions, then we want YOU to teach after school cooking
As a Chef Educator, you will:
Benefits of working at Cooking Round The World
Cooking Round the World is an affirmative action and equal opportunity, employer
(AA/EOE/W/M/Vet/Disabled) and does not discriminate in recruiting, hiring, training,
promotion or other employment of associates or the awarding of subcontracts because
of a person's race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, protected veteran, disability,
sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics or other protected status
A busy start up with a great mission is looking for a STAR Chef Instructor to execute our classes, birthday parties, events in the Bay Area. Must be organized, experienced in working with children K-12, have own transportation, great references and able to start immediately. Will Train. Thank you
Baltimore Chef Shop is an *award winning teaching kitchen located in the heart of the Hampden neighborhood of Baltimore Maryland. Our focus is on technique and the curriculum is based upon those used in degree/diploma issuing institutions.
We are currently interviewing for part time culinary instructors who can demonstrate a wide range of technical knowledge and skill. Candidates should be familiar with a variety of culinary approaches ranging from basic knife skills, to sausage making, to regional chinese cooking and more. Candidates should also demonstrate the ability to learn and teach topics and types of cuisines previously unfamiliar to them. Training provided. Our approach is based in culinary technique, along with knowledge of ingredients, styles, and traditions relative to the given cuisine.
This is a part time staff position.
The number of hours worked per week is dependant upon the number of classes taught. Classes are scheduled for 3 hours of contact time with students, 4 hours total time commitment per class.
Chefs are responsible for delivery of lecture material and will also assist with set up prior to the class and breakdown after the class.
Culinary degree or commensurate culinary education experience is mandatory.
Please send CV and cover letter to email only. No calls or drop ins please. (but please feel free to visit the shop to take a look around)
Find out more about us at:
Job Type: Staff
Starting Salary: $28.57 per hour
*2019 Baltimore Sun Readers Choice Award, Best Cooking School*