JOB TITLE: Bartender
The Bartender position is a primary point of contact with our customers. The Bartender has the shared responsibility of making sure our guests have a pleasurable experience, making them want to come back again and again. We take this position very seriously and want to hire the right person with the same values and expectations of outstanding customer service.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to allow persons with a disability to perform the essential functions.
- Check for proper identification of 21 years of age before serving any alcoholic beverages.
- Do not allow persons under the age of 21 to sit or stand at the bar or interact with gaming devises.
- Knowledge, understanding, and adherence to company policies and procedures.
- Ringing up all customer drinks regardless of comp or cash in quick fashion (within minutes of service).
- Ability to take drink orders, reciting selections of all call and premium brands as requested. Requires memorization of all available drinks, mixes, garnishes and portions. Knowledge of drink recipes, product and beverage terminology.
- Ability to remember, recite and promote a variety of food and beverage menu items.
- Knowledge of the POS (point of sale) system. Ability to input orders into a point of sale register and create a check for each guest or group with cover count. Must maintain accountability of all food and beverages served.
- Must have the ability to count change.
- Responsible for a Cash Bank and must count all monies regardless of bundled or loose.
- Assuming responsibility for store and gaming keys when relieving outgoing bartender until your shift is complete and oncoming bartender takes over responsibility.
- Responsible for locking & unlocking doors and activating magnetic locks during late night hours & mornings and upon closure.
- Making sure to check the safe is locked and secure.
13. Know the proper opening and closing procedures.
- Maintain proper and adequate set-up of bar on a daily basis including before, during and after shift.
- Maintain organization, cleanliness and sanitation of guest areas and equipment at all times during shift including removing empty glasses/bottles, cleaning ashtrays (smoking locations), picking up and dumping garbage, sweeping and mopping floors, sanitizing equipment when opportunity presents itself.
- Ability to change beer keg(s) as needed.
- Knowledge of Gamblers Bonus program and promotions and able to enter new guest into system.
- Knowledge of MVP program and able to enter new guest into system.
- Knowledge of procedure when paying out gaming winnings in a tactful discrete manner.
- Ability to pour from a liquor bottle in a fluid motion, pour draft beer without waste, open beer bottles and wine bottles.
- Will always utilize measured pouring devices (jigger), will follow recipe and not over pour or “tail” liquor pour.
- Knowledge of various comp items and comping policy for gamers.
- Once drink is ordered, poured, and delivered to bar guest their ticket will be placed in front of them in a glass for accountability. Have most current customer tickets in the glass on the bar for accounting purposes.
- Always know guidelines for serving alcohol with care and have a current Alcohol Awareness card and Sparks Police Department/ Washoe County Sheriff work permit (location dependent)with you.
- Making sure that copies of said cards are updated with the Human Resources Department.
- Perform specific tasks as assigned: organizing, ordering, stocking and cleaning.
- Ability to lift and carry product by hand as well as with carts or hand trucks.
- Ability to operate a glassware washer, maintain and refill chemicals as needed, and understand how and when test strips are used.
- Ability to re-fill ice bins and beer bins, utilizing ice machines.
- Maintain a neat, professional image and appearance at all times with appropriate uniform and nametag while on the clock.
- Greet guests in a courteous, friendly manner. Good guest service skills. Ability to interact with the public. Ability to have and make conversation in a positive manner.
- Regular on time attendance is essential to the successful performance of this position and the ability to remain in it.
- Seniority within the company is not a determining factor to bartending shifts awarded, they are awarded by management based on performance and customer service.
- Ability to deal with customers and co-workers in a tactful and respectful manner, and if needed to diffuse anger.
- Ability to balance service between patrons at the bar and the servers who are handling the restaurant. Does not engage in extensive conversations while guest or server wait. Ability to interrupt current conversation in a tactful/thoughtful manner with guest for service purposes. Aware of surroundings for when new service is needed.
- Ability to remain alert throughout the duration of the shift and remain calm in high stress and/or emergency situations.
- Answering the phone in a clear and concise voice that is informative and welcoming.
- Understanding the Bartender is responsible for all in-store issues when management is not present but involves management soon after when warranted. All actions are representative and in the benefit of the company.
39. Maintains a positive attitude toward Bully’s and fellow employees; focuses on solving conflict; does not engage in gossip or blaming; listens to others; keeps emotions under control; acts in a professional manner and places company business first.
40. The Bartender has the responsibility of receiving orders, verifying that the order being delivered is correct and notifying management of any discrepancies in a timely manner.
41. Putting away liquor deliveries rotating all accordingly.
42. Clocking in and check with management at start of shift, and checking with management before clocking out.
43. Will attend all mandatory meetings.
- All other duties as assigned by management.
This position has supervisory responsibilities by default when there are no salaried managers on property. You will be expected to make mature rational decisions in the company’s best interest. In addition, it is expected that you will contact your manager immediately in the case of an emergency.
Environment of work
This work operates primarily in the front of the house, and occasionally in a kitchen for purposes of food retrieval, communicating with kitchen staff, and various duties that require back of house presence. Bartenders will work in a very fast paced environment while multitasking between food, beverage and gaming. Bully’s Sports Bar & Grill is a mature environment where employees may be exposed to adult humor, smoking, drinking and, occasionally a disorderly or unruly customer and/or other situations. This included but is not limited to jokes, television programming, and inappropriate language.
Must provide additional assistance to other servers and/or bartenders as needed so customer service is not impacted.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee occasionally is required to sit; climb or balance; and crouch or kneel. Frequently, the employee must lift moving objects up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift or move objects up to 75 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision, the vision of color, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The days and hours of work vary according to business levels and store schedule requirements. Evenings and weekend work are frequently required.
Education and experience required
1-2 previous years of bartending, money handling and customer service experience recommended, however we are willing to train the right person.
Education and experience preferred
1. Prefer high school diploma, should be capable of reading and writing and understand the instructions given by management as related with the functionality of the position.
2. Experience working in a restaurant environment preferred.
3. Ability to read and understand the labels of chemical products.
Please note that this description is not intended to cover or contain an all exclusive list of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Roles, responsibilities and activities can be changed at any time with or without notice.
The best Family friendly sports bar in town is looking for a highly motivated, experienced, and well organized candidate to fill the position. Join our fun work environment with lots of immediate benefits and growth opportunity. Only serious inquiries please apply. Looking forward to having you on our team!