CreaTV San José is a nonprofit Community Media Center in downtown San José. Our mission is to inspire, educate and connect San José communities, using media to foster civic engagement. Serving the San José and Silicon Valley community since 2008, CreaTV is a nationally recognized Community Media Center focused on access to media and technology, the art of storytelling, and digital equity issues.
CreaTV manages four public and educational Comcast cable channels, airing more than 3,200 locally produced videos in eight different languages each year. CreaTV offers monthly workshops in video production to the public and provides a vast array of video production services to clients including nonprofits, cities, schools and individuals wanting to produce content for the channels. Our vision is to give everyone in San Jose the opportunity to have a voice by providing access to tools, training and distribution platforms. We believe this can transform and deepen our community conversation.
We are at a pivotal juncture in our organization’s history as we lead the effort to create a collaborative space activated by the community and designed to reflect the diversity of San José. Our goal is to redefine how creative spaces are developed and used to transform a community. This new venture - Open San José - will feature 18,000 square feet of office space, gallery and public spaces, a large studio, and multi-purpose rooms that are fully equipped with technology and designed to be used for live and hybrid meetings, rehearsal space, podcast and media recording, trainings, and more.
Under the supervision of the Chief Technology Officer, assist in overseeing CreaTV San José facilities and equipment care and maintenance. This position is full-time; hours may be varied depending on the needs of CreaTV San José.
Typical Duties (may include, but are not limited to, the following):
• Maintain/Manage Website(CMS, SSL, hosting maintenance).
• Maintain/manage offsite equipment including CreaTV San José’s checkout inventory, production vehicles, school and community center sites.
• Project management as assigned.
• Engineering Government meetings.
• Setup, operation, and storage of production van, fly pack, and studio.
• Perform routine maintenance of video, computer, and networking systems.
• Enter and control inventory.
• Install computer hardware and software, primarily Apple systems.
• Provide basic computer support to end users.
• Trouble-shoot equipment malfunctions and advise users of equipment status.
• Work with vendors to ensure repairs are completed accurately and in a timely manner.
• Provide technical training to potential users, as assigned.
• Other duties as assigned.
Desirable Skills and Abilities:
• Troubleshoot equipment malfunctions.
• Read and create broadcast system documentation (wire lists, schematics).
• Work effectively with users and staff in the resolution of equipment malfunction problems.
• Communicate effectively technical information to interns, volunteers and less experienced staff.
• Able to view CreaTV San José channels from personal residence.
• Familiarity with Community Media.
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate and partner with a diverse group of clients, meeting the unique production and storytelling needs of each.
• Work creatively and flexibly in a team environment, operating autonomously under minimal supervision, but accepting direction, supervision, and guidance when appropriate.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. unassisted required
• Eyesight and hearing must be sufficient to be able to operate video equipment during productions (headphones, speakers, TV monitor screens, waveform monitors, vector scopes, VU meters, etc.).
• Must have the manual dexterity and coordination required to operate small push buttons, keys and switches associated with electronic devices and computers.
• Maneuver in small spaces and up and down ladders required.
• Possess and maintain a valid California driver's license, have a safe driving record, and maintain California minimum required automobile insurance required
• Strong customer service skills
• Adjust work schedule to accommodate assigned night and weekend shifts.
• May need to use a personal vehicle for business-related travel
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that provides the skill, knowledge, and abilities required.
• On-site video engineering experience Five (5) years +
• Some College and/or technical training
Compensation: This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position with a generous benefits package, including health, dental vision, retirement, and competitive paid time off and holiday policies. $75 - $85k.
People of color, women, formerly incarcerated people, LGBTQ+ individuals, and community visionaries are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please email a PDF cover letter and resume explaining your interest and qualifications for the position to email@example.com with the subject “Engineer”. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Please, no phone calls or hard copies of materials through the postal service. The position will remain open until filled.
Our mission is to inspire, educate and connect San Jose communities, using media to foster civic engagement.
We fulfill our mission by providing the training, tools and platforms that allow diverse and often under-served communities to tell their stories and express their views through digital media.
Our Community Media Center
CreaTV San Jose is a non-profit community media center that empowers the residents, businesses, schools and organizations in San Jose to effectively communicate their message to a broader audience using our free cable and Internet channels.
Members have total access to our resources in downtown San Jose, including the low-cost production facilities, equipment and training needed to make non-commercial digital media.
Since 2008, CreaTV has aired more than 30,000 community videos in eight languages, helped hundreds of non-profits tell their stories and build capacity, and served more than 20,000 youth through our MAP grant to San Jose schools and partnerships with Adobe Youth Voices, Silicon Valley Creates, Xilinx Educational Ecosystem and Mayor’s Gang Prevention Task Force.
11-50 team members
Culture & Perks