“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” - John Quincy Adams
Marie Veronique is a dynamic, mission-driven organization that strives to be a genuine resource for skin health in Berkeley and beyond. We are growing rapidly and maturing quickly, and we need a real leader with experience in scaling production operations and developing people to join our team. We have many challenges ahead, but we choose to see the opportunities in every difficulty rather than the difficulty in every opportunity. If you have the requisite experience and this approach to growth sounds exciting, this role may be for you.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Production Manager is responsible for overall production of all Marie Veronique products, development of detailed production schedules and adherence to company standards with respect to safety, quality, and efficacy. Areas of responsibility will include safety, management of employees, and developing KPIs for numerous tasks and turnaround times. Responsible for developing and implementing processes to ensure that the product is consistently manufactured following all active quality and production SOPs. Consistently looks for ways to improve product, processes and quality, while maximizing resource utilization. Must manage complex programs, use structured problem solving methodologies and have the capacity to work in a fast–paced environment with multiple priorities. Will be required to work cross functionally with the R&D, Quality and Regulatory, Logistics, Customer Service, and other areas within the organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Include the following and other duties may be assigned.
- Effectively deploys resources to meet production demands and develops and maintains detailed production schedules.
- Develop processes to increase productivity and enhance performance.
- Familiarity with industry standard equipment and technical expertise.
- Aptitude in troubleshooting operational and mechanical issues.
- Small team, so expected to understand all production processes and be hands on.
- Carefully monitors processes for effectiveness and appropriate use of personnel.
- Utilizes and maintains capital to the benefit of the company (reducing COGS when possible) while ensuring standards for efficacy, safety and quality of products are met.
- Monitors, enforces, and improves quality control standards.
- Consistently acts as a safety and quality champion, leading the production team by example and setting the standard on site.
- Facilitates and supervises product scale up activities in conjunction with the R&D team..
- Direct leadership of production line team, including performance management, goal setting and development planning for all team members.
- Maintains accurate records for all work including inventory, production, and bottling runs.
- Enters batch details needed to complete production runs.
- Ensures production practices meet or exceed standards and monitors quality closely to fix repetitive and recognized problems immediately.
- Coordinates with Supply Chain Lead to ensure proper stock and availability of materials, supplies, and equipment.
- Monitors production to resolve issues in as close to real-time as practicable.
- Assists Director of Operations in preparing and adhering to annual departmental budget.
- Verifies that only accurate, current, and authorized documentation is available in production area.
- Informs or instructs employees of any deviations or changes in production.
- Tracks production and ensures all specifications, schedules and deadlines are met.
- Reviews all relevant policies and procedures applicable to production and ensures that relevant employees read, understand, and adhere to them.
- Adheres to all safety rules; uses and ensures that employees use the required protective equipment.
- Small batch or scale up experience preferred.
- Experience with emulsions, manufacturing with kettles and mixers, and experience with labelling and filling preferred.
- Ensures that production area is clean and organized.
- Handles essential oils and without incurring adverse health issues.
- Ensures team provides superior customer service to internal and external customers.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:Bachelor’s Degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Minimum of 3 years in a production environment, preferably in food, cosmetic or pharmaceutical manufacturing and across compounding/manufacturing, filling and labeling. One-year experience in a leadership role.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to apply concepts of math including geometry.
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skill.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize workload.
- Excellent computer skills with emphasis on MRP, and G Suite.
- Familiar with OSHA safety standards and GMP, good manufacturing practices.
- Proficient in ERP software, with Cin7 preferred.
- Must have prior experience writing, maintaining, and editing SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures).
- Ensures a neat, clean work environment.
- Communicates all operational changes and updates in a timely manner.
- Ensures execution of Lean Manufacturing, Communicates and enforces Policy, procedures and safety expectations.
- Must be proficient in identifying problems and using logic and sound judgment to evaluate alternatives and solutions to achieve the desired organization goal.
- Must Cultivate a network with people across a variety of functions and locations within the organization.
- Will relate to others in an accepting and respectful manner regardless of their organization level, personality or background.
- Maintains positive relationships even under difficult or heated circumstances.