JOB TITLE Staff Accountant
REPORTS TO Senior Accountant
- Applications accepted starting July 20, 2021
- Hiring immediately, position open until filled.
- Full Time, Hourly, Non-Exempt.
- Up to 40 hours per week - Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday during hours arranged with the supervisor.
- Some nights or weekends may be required in support of key Ed Fund events.
- The hourly rate for this position will range from $28/hr to $34/hr dependent upon experience and qualifications.
- Generous Vacation and Sick Time Accrual
- Average of 13-15 Paid Holidays
- Health, Vision, and Dental Insurance
- Sponsored 401K Plan (non-matched)
- Staff Development Budget
Please read the following in order to avoid application delays:
- Applications will be reviewed immediately and candidates with the best fit will be contacted for interviews.
- Unfortunately, the volume of applications will prevent us from responding to all applications received.
- Please do not send your application directly through email. Apply for the role at the following link:
ABOUT THE EDUND
Oakland Public Education Fund leads the investment of community resources in Oakland public schools so that all students can learn, grow, and thrive. Therefore, our work is to connect public schools with tools, funds, and volunteers. Learn more about our work at .
WORK LIFE AT THE ED FUND
- A fun, fast-paced, flexible, and dog-friendly work environment;
- Great mentorship and opportunities for both personal development and professional growth;
- Flexible work schedule;
- A brand new office in Oakland’s Jack London Square that is easily accessible by public transportation, has great parking options, and is stocked with refreshments;
- Staff outings, team-building activities, staff celebrations and happy hours;
- The opportunity to make a direct, positive impact on Oakland public schools and programs serving our youth; and,
- Amazing networking opportunities with local leaders and businesses.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Staff Accountant will work closely and report to the Senior Accountant by executing daily, weekly, monthly, and year-end accounting tasks. Tasks include: general ledger management, all major account and sub-ledger reconciliations, journal entry postings, financial reporting, account analysis, donation entry, compliance, as well as special projects. This role requires strong accounting knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), fund accounting, time management skills, attention to detail, and effective problem solving.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Full Accounts Payable Cycle including managing all Expense Form processing, print checks
- Cash Receipts/Deposits - process all cash receipts and generate deposits in Intacct based on deposit supporting documentation and Salesforce related data for accuracy. Weekly remote deposit.
- Handle client & vendor inquiries in collaboration with Client Services team
- General Ledger Management - chart of account maintenance, accurate posting of transactions to avoid reclassifications and update forms when changes to the chart of accounts warrant an update.
- Company credit card reconciliations, payment, communication for obtaining supporting documentation, processing approved and accurate credit card transaction through the Expensify and Intacct integration and circulation of complete reconciliation for approval of cardholders.
- Support the Procurement Function by preparing and/or processing requisition forms when staff and clients request to purchase a good through one of our approved vendors. Ensure three-way match before processing payment to vendor if applicable.
- Ensure contractor payments are accurately selected as 1099 reportable in the accounting management system and monitored throughout the year for accurate annual 1099-MISC reporting to contractors, IRS and FTB.
- Compile data from the Ed Fund databases and systems in order to assist in generating and analyzing financial reports on a monthly basis. Maintain volume levels within Key Performance Indicators (KPI)s to provide visibility and measurability for decision-making to scale during period of growth or downsize during periods of contraction.
- Support the Annual Audit by ensuring all audit schedules are maintained throughout the year and all documentation is pulled as requested from the auditors in preparation for audit field work when scheduled.
- Support the development and implementation of financial policies and procedures, and assist in setup and implementation of proper accounting procedures, systems and internal controls. Recommend changes to financial practices, policies, and procedures as they relate to the accounting function.
- Provide the procedural and technical support to staff within the areas of accounting, to ensure compliance with Ed Fund financial policies, rules and regulations.
- Serve as a CORE employee, supporting key Ed Fund events and contributing to our culture and structure, as well as our mission
- Other duties as assigned
PROVIDE BACKUP SUPPORT FOR THE FOLLOWING FUNCTIONS:
- Execute within the Accounting Function by adhering to the accounting cycle steps as follows:
- 1) Identify transactions
- 2) Record journal entries
- 3) Post ledger entries
- 4) Review unadjusted Trial Balance
- 5) Post adjusting entries
- 6) Review adjusted trial balance
- 7) Produce financial statements for review and
- 8) Close all sub-ledgers and general ledger.
- Accounts Receivable - processing payments, producing statement of accounts, collections on overdue accounts and account reconciliation when required. Invoice creation and distribution when required.
- 401(K) Administration - Process and post any pre-tax 401(k) deductions to investment account and reconcile each month.
- Execute accounting responsibilities in line with the accounting close schedule related to daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual tasks.
- Cross train and become alternate to other accounting and payroll staff when they are on vacation or out for an extended period of time.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or business administration and/or 3-7 years experience working in accounting (preferably in non-profit), thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and fund accounting, cost allocation and handling restricted and conditional funding sources.
- High attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- A high degree of professionalism, strong communication skills, able to work well with colleagues, vendors, contractors and various stakeholders
- Strong data analytic skills (Intermediate to Advanced Excel proficiency), Business Intelligence, and financial modeling
- Ability to work in a team setting and independently
- Innovation and process improvement mindset
- Experience with Intacct cloud based accounting system preferred
- Experience with CRM platform, such as Salesforce
- Experience with Excel Pivot Tables, VLookup, Macros
- Experience in a medium, complex non-profit organization and/or private foundation
- General Ledger knowledge and experience
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY DISCLOSURE:
The Oakland Public Education Fund is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We also know that great candidates can bring skills to The Ed Fund that we haven't thought of just yet, and who won't fit everything we've described above. If this is you, don't hesitate to apply. Tell us what unique contributions you can offer. We are dedicated to improving our organization and know that part of it means to better reflect the people we serve. We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages and we especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.