Job Title: Tutor, JCYC College Access Programs
Position: Casual, 5-19 hrs/week
Salary: $16.50 per hour
Location: Middle Schools in San Francisco (Aptos, Denman, Francisco, MLK Jr., & Roosevelt) and Daly City (Thomas R. Pollicita) *Tutor will be assigned to work at one school site, not all school sites.
Tentative Start Date: Open Until Filled
The JCYC College Access Programs assists low-income school youth, ages 11 and older who have the potential to be the first generation in their family to attend college. As a Tutor, you will gain valuable communication skills, contribute to your community, and have fun! We also offer trainings to support your professional development. For more information about our programs, visit www.jcyccollegeaccess.org.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES (VIRTUAL AND/OR IN-PERSON):
1. Tutor middle school students at school site and/or virtually in small and/or large groups with estimated ratio of 5 to 7 students per 1Tutor;
2. Assist Middle School Educational Advisor to manage a small caseload of students with tracking their academic progress throughout the school year;
3. Assist Middle School Educational Advisor with event planning activities such as virtual and/ or local/long distance college campus and/ or cultural field trips during the school day.
1. Education: Minimum AA degree OR currently enrolled to obtain a Bachelor's degree.
2. Available to work 3-4 days a week, Monday to Thursday, between 12-6PM;
3. Demonstrate constructive communication skills (oral & written);
4. Effectively exercise compassion and positive behavior management skills;
5. Demonstrate professionalism and teamwork skills; Highly reliable;
6. Experience working with youth similar to the target population served by the program (e.g. low-income, first-generation college bound, ethnically diverse)
How to Apply:
Applicants MUST submit ALL of the following: 1) Cover Letter, 2) Resume, and 3) School Schedule (if applicable).
Contact Email: applycollegeaccess AT jcyc.org
Attn: Tutor Position
Please no phone calls
PLEASE NOTE: Japanese Community Youth Council ( JCYC) actively seek to hire and promote individuals, recruit volunteers and provide services to individuals without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religious creed, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, or presence of non-job related conditions or disabilities. All employees of the JCYC participate in a criminal background investigation. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
JCYC’s mission is to cultivate and enrich the lives of children and youth from diverse, multi-cultural communities throughout San Francisco and beyond. Through a continuum of services, JCYC programs can support children and youth from the time they start pre-school until they are ready to move onto college. In addition to providing direct services, JCYC has also organized and continues to lead some of the largest and most successful youth collaborations in San Francisco.
Culture & Perks