Reports To: Head of School
Position Type: Full-Time, Staff, Non Exempt
Established in 1920, Bentley School is a K-12 co-educational, independent day school located on two campuses in Oakland (K-8) and Lafayette (9-12), California. Bentley School is an inclusive community that shares a vision of academic achievement, balance, and the cultivation of character.
Job Purpose: The School Nurse supports the learning experience of students by providing students and faculty and staff with first aid and evaluating their need for other forms of care and referring them to the appropriate resources. This position reports to the Head of School and is responsible for developing and implementing health and safety policies and procedures in support of the school’s mission and in compliance with federal, state and local laws. The School Nurse also consults with and provides advice to the division directors, teachers and others regarding students’ specific health issues which may impact their learning experience. This position also provides advice to senior administrators regarding health and safety issues as they relate to the school and directs the activities of the Health Office.
● Collect, update and maintain information about the health and development status of the students in a systematic and continuous manner. This includes all mandated screenings, immunization records and required school health forms.
● Meet with students, parents and teachers regarding health issues and concerns.
● Provide first aid to students, employees, parents and guests. Refers to community agencies and clinics as required.
● Evaluate students or employees with contagious and/or infectious diseases.
● Administer medication as needed.
● Work with administration to create measures to prevent, minimize and control communicable diseases on campus.
● Monitor and train staff in specialized physical health care procedures.
● Conduct parent conferences and counseling related to health issues as necessary.
● Serve as health education resource contact for students, parents and faculty and staff.
● Document student illnesses and accidents. Responsible for the oversight of all Student Accident Reports including follow-up with families, the Business office, and any medical/insurance providers.
● File required state reports.
● Coordinate the acquisition of supplies and materials necessary to efficiently run the Health Office.
● Evaluate employees who incur work-related illnesses or injuries and refer employees to the Business Office if they require outside medical care. This includes providing any work related injury paperwork to Human Resources.
● Assist the Business Office with tracking completion of TB testing for new employees and ensure current employees meet state and school requirements for TB testing.
● Work in conjunction with the Business Office to administer the school’s policy regarding CPR/First Aid training, ensuring all employees are CPR certified every two years.
● Assist the school trip organizers in gathering field trip waivers and medication paperwork for overnight trips.
● Convey a positive image of The Bentley School at all times when working with students, parents, employees and the public.
Qualifications Guidelines: Experience/Training/Education: Required – Employee should possess a Bachelor’s Degree and be a Registered Nurse in the state of California. Current CPR certification is required.
Desirable – A minimum 3-5 years of experience in schools, colleges, pediatric hospitals or doctors’ offices. Possession of a School Nurse Credential and Public Health Certificate is required.
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: The position requires a person with a kind, calming presence, with exceptional nursing skills, strong communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite, Google Apps and general computer skills, in order to maintain electronic records in any current or future school health suite in the student information system. The school nurse must have the ability to work well with others. This individual should be a confident and independent-thinking “self-starter” who can successfully manage numerous responsibilities and projects amid a demanding, but rewarding, work environment. The nature of this role will require an individual to maintain a high level of confidentiality and possess skills in problem solving, critical thinking, innovation and creativity.
Physical and Environmental Elements: While performing the duties of this job, the School Nurse is regularly required to speak, listen, sit, and stand for prolonged periods of time. Bending, kneeling and lifting emergency kit bags and supplies are also required. Use of hands to palpate, handle, feel, manipulate, carry, and transfer are necessary, as well as walking fast and/or running to emergencies inclusive of the perimeter of the campuses. Bentley School is an equal opportunity employer and seeks rich diversity among faculty and administration. The School offers competitive compensation and benefits.
How to Apply Please send a letter of interest and CV/resume with the names and contact information of three (3) references to . Please include “ School Nurse” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Established in 1920, Bentley School is a K-12 co-educational, independent day school located on two campuses in Oakland (K-8) and Lafayette (9-12) California. Bentley is an inclusive community that shares a vision of academic achievement, balance, and the cultivation of character.
Culture & Perks