Join the team at Mariposa Baking Company and be a part of a successful women-owned, certified green, artisan-crafted, gluten-free bakeshop in North Oakland.
Mariposa bakes and distributes delicious artisan-crafted gluten-free baked goods to our two Bay Area cafes, which are 100% dedicated gluten-free. We are currently looking to hire Bakeshop Team Members who are looking for stable employment in food service. If you want to be part of an enthusiastic, creative work community, join us at Mariposa!
• Provide excellent customer service
• Cook and prepare sandwiches as orders come into small kitchen
• Greet customers as they enter the Café
• Explain savory and pastry options
• Always make the customer feel welcome and appreciated
• Ensure food quality and safety
• Restock Café merchandise
• Explain gluten and other allergy-related food issues
• Use POS system to ring sales
• Participate in general cleanup of Cafe
• High school Diploma or equivalent
• 1+year experience working in a Café environment preferred, culinary experience preferred
• This job necessitates being able to prepare food
• Food service industry knowledge required
• Strong desire to learn about a gluten-free diet
• Experience with food allergens
• Be sensitive and responsive to all customer diet restrictions
• Connection to a gluten-free community a plus
• Maintain a high standard of personal hygiene
• Has a current CA Food Handler’s Card (or can get one within 30 days of hire)
• Paid Time Off, Medical/Dental Benefits (20+ hours), 401k Plan and Work/Life Balance Culture
Ideally, Friday, Saturday & Sunday (shifts may vary - open availability is a Plus)
• Ability to stand on your feet for an entire shift
• Bend and stoop to grasp objects. Bend and twist neck and waist, reach above and below shoulders and squat
• Bend and lift loads, not to exceed 50 pounds. Push and pull carts weighing up to 25 pounds
• Repetitive use of hands for grasping, pushing, pulling and fine manipulation
• Environmental exposures to extreme temperatures (freezers)
The first 3 months are a trial/training period and upon successful completion of that period, we would determine any changes to the schedule and job responsibilities. Note – Time off is not permitted during the months of November and December.
Our start was simple. Patti Furey Crane, Mariposa's founder, craved high-quality sweets while pregnant with her first child. Finding few options at the time, she set to baking them herself. And so, in 2004, Mariposa was hatched. Mariposa's mission – create wholesome, hand-crafted food using the finest natural ingredients.
We have a passion for – the baked goods we make, the creative journey we’re on, and the communities we serve. Thank you for being a part of our story…
Culture & Perks