Title: Senior Scientist
Reports to: SVP Technology
We are seeking a Senior Scientist to join our Metabolic Engineering team, to improve the production of high-value compounds in yeast.
- Optimize cellular metabolism and engineer biosynthetic pathways in micro-organisms, notably yeast(s)
- Analyze production organism physiology and genetics to identify bottlenecks and design constructs/genes for improved performance
- Develop biological assays to determine rate-limiting steps and compare strains/enzymes
- Collaborate with the analytics and fermentation teams for proper method development and analysis
- Guide enzyme improvement campaigns with third party labs
- Mentor and advise junior teammates on metabolic engineering strategies and techniques
- PhD in Biological Engineering, Systems Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, or a related field, ideally with industry experience. M.S. level considered with additional relevant experience (>5 years of hands-on strain engineering work)
- Expertise in metabolic and genetic engineering with experience building, testing, and optimizing metabolic pathways for the production of heterologous products, preferably in yeasts
- Demonstrated expertise in performing rate-based data analysis
- Good understanding of OMICs data generation and ability to extract knowledge from meta-data studies
- Command of genome editing tools
- Experience utilizing common analytical techniques such as HPLC and spectroscopy
- Protein characterization experience is highly desirable
- Ability to plan and execute experimental plans independently, while aligning priorities with project team to support business goals
- Good time management skills and ability to multi-task
- Proactive in troubleshooting
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic interdisciplinary team environment
- Clear, concise written and oral communication in English
- Communication of results and analyses to key stakeholders, in clear formats
- Attention to detail and careful record-keeping skills
- Documentation for patent examples, as needed
Experience in the synthetic biology, food ingredients, or biological manufacturing business is a plus
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
Sugarlogix is an exciting start-up company in the Bay Area with the goal of providing better nutrition for formula-fed babies.
Competitive biotechnology package offered, position open immediately.