Independent, Co-educational K-8
Middle School Science Teacher
Part-Time Position Beginning August 2020
Mark Day School seeks an experienced and collaborative part-time middle school science teacher. The successful applicant for this position will help advance the school’s mission with positive energy, creativity, dedication to a diverse community, love for children, a strong work ethic, and a willingness to collaborate in partnership with the middle school teaching team and the wider school community.
This teacher will be responsible for one or two sections of middle school science (18 students each) in grade 7or 8. Each section meets three days a week, once for 45 minutes and twice for 75 minutes in our block schedule. Skills, understandings, and attitudes developed throughout the middle school include broad metacognitive skills, such as growth mindset, self-advocacy, time management, and collaboration. Science students engage actively in a challenging, inquiry-based, experiential course in which they learn to apply scientific thinking, generate questions, apply the scientific process, carry out sound investigations and experiments, and master content, concepts, and skills in life and physical sciences, all with an eye toward making informed decisions and creating positive change in the world around them.
Key Responsibilities Include:
● Challenge all students with high academic and behavioral expectations while maintaining a climate of
responsibility, safety, kindness, enthusiasm, and fun.
● Model personal standards of excellence: warmth, clarity of expectations, consistency, and
● Demonstrate equitable and culturally responsive teaching practices.
● Apply a wide range of highly effective teaching approaches balancing enduring and innovative best
● Engage in ongoing professional development.
● Form supportive and responsive relationships with students and families.
● Differentiate instruction to challenge every learner.
● Build a strong, positive classroom community in which students advocate for themselves and others.
● Provide constructive, timely, specific feedback that fosters a growth mindset.
● Use available technology to enhance student learning, collaboration, and responsive communication.
● Work with learning specialists and parents when necessary to design individualized programs for
students who require specialized support.
● Collaborate with the wider community to enhance the students’ experience, including specialists in
technology, information literacy, drama, art, music, P.E., world language, Social Emotional Learning
(SEL) and counseling, global education, sustainability, service-learning, and diversity.
● Observe, evaluate, encourage and monitor students’ academic and social development and progress.
● Communicate regularly with students, parents, and colleagues regarding students’ progress and needs.
Additional Responsibilities Include:
● Back to School Night
● Parent information evenings
● Faculty meetings
● Recess supervision
Education and Experience:
● Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited institution
● Relevant teaching experience
● Subject area knowledge in science
● Knowledge of and experience with relevant technology
● Proven cultural competence in a community committed to diversity, equity, and social justice.
More About Mark Day School
Mark Day School has established a consistent practice of thoughtful innovation in its curricular program,
focusing on current century skills and concepts including four cross-curricular literacies: Cross-Cultural
Literacy, Media and Information Literacy, Ecoliteracy, and Social, Emotional, and Ethical Literacy. Highlights
include the NAIS Leading Edge Award-winning Media Literacy program; well-established local and global
partnerships including with Kliptown Youth Program and eSibonisweni School in South Africa, Beijing #2
Experimental Primary School in China, and Pan American School in Costa Rica, among others; iPads in the
third and fourth grades; class sets of laptops in fifth grade and a one-to-one laptop program beginning in sixth
grade; Mandarin and Spanish language beginning in kindergarten; a commitment to differentiation across the
school; and more.
Mark Day School is a vibrant and diverse community, and all community members continue to work towards
the furthering of an inclusive and supportive school. The school is an equal opportunity employer committed to
excellence through diversity and multiculturalism. Mark Day School’s salary and benefits are very competitive
by both NAIS and regional standards. For more information about Mark Day School, please visit our website
Interested candidates should visit our website and send a letter of interest and resume via email to
the address listed in this posting. We will begin getting in contact with strong candidates immediately
upon receiving materials.
Mark Day School is an independent, co-educational K-8 school in San Rafael, California. Our mission is to develop well-rounded critical thinkers through a strong academic program, a kind and inclusive community, and a joyful learning environment.
Mark Day was founded in 1980 under the guiding philosophy to provide high-quality education in an atmosphere of love and care. In the 40 years since, we have continued to grow and innovate alongside the school traditions that make our community special. We have established four close relationships with schools across the globe and implemented an advanced media and information literacy program that involves professional-grade equipment like lighting, green screen, and sound booths. We meet twice a week every week for assemblies, creating moments to share updates, see cross-grade friends, and practice public speaking. And faculty and administration have attended countless hours of professional development to continue to educate themselves about the latest research in education.
Every day, we are guided by our mission, philosophy, strategic plan, and genuine love of learning. We encourage you to learn more about Mark Day School's academic program, student life, partnerships, and extracurricular opportunities that prepare students to become kind and confident self-starters ready to take on the challenges of their time.