The food we eat is a fundamental part of enjoying life, which is why the Dining Service is one of the most important roles in any Carefield Living Community. As a Lead Cook, you will help to ensure that our residents receive delicious meals, prepared well from the freshest ingredients to fuel an active and healthy lifestyle.
This position assists the Dining Services Director in preparing appealing, nutritious, heart-healthy, tasteful and fresh meals for Carefield Living residents, prospective residents, families and guests.
- Support the mission, vision, and culture of the organization through positive communication and leadership.
- Contribute to Community relationships by demonstrating cooperation and professional conduct with residents, families, fellow associates, physicians, pharmacies and other vendors or persons.
- Contribute to team effort by being flexible in work assignments; by furnishing support; by taking initiative; and by understanding how this position affects and compliments all other Community positions.
- Able to maintain work pace appropriate to given work load. Perform activities on schedule while maintaining regular attendance and punctuality within specified tolerance.
- Prepare salads, bake desserts, and complete menu meals on time and without the direct supervision of the Dining Services Director.
- Reads, interprets and follows production sheets.
- Safely operate all kitchen equipment and dishwashing machine.
- Clean and sanitize ovens, grill, work space, and cooking utensils.
- Check food orders delivered against invoice.
- Be available for weekend coverage and on-call situations assigned on a rotating basis.
- Assist supervisor with administrative tasks, including:
- Determine and order foods necessary to follow the menu, using Carefield Living's guidelines and specifications; order food when needed. Appreciate and be sensitive to budgetary requirements and follow spending procedures.
- Functioning as point of contact during shift for communication for cooks.
- Assist the Dining Services Director in the supervision of cook personnel to ensure assigned job duties are in accordance with community policies and standards.
- Train and coach new associates.
- Occasionally schedule housekeeping associates.
- Respond appropriately to changes in the work setting.
- Perform other related assignments as required.
- Be familiar with Carefield Living and Northstar Senior Living Policies & Procedures Manual and Associate Handbook.
- Be prepared to work in any area of the department.
- Act on constructive feedback by listening to supervisor(s), customers and peers and use it to improve performance.
- Maintain resident, employee, and community confidentiality.
- Respect Resident’s Rights.
- Demonstrate positive attitude and ability to work well with all people, particularly the elderly.
- Promote positive work environment that emphasizes teamwork.
- Demonstrate willingness to help other staff whenever needed.
- Demonstrate awareness of sanitation regulations in handling and storing food.
- Demonstrate awareness of safety rules in the kitchen.
- This position requires a high school diploma or equivalent certificate and at least two years experience with food preparation, food purchasing, kitchen safety, sanitation, and menu preparation in a restaurant, health care facility, or institution.
- Speak, read, and understand the English language.
- Read and follow instructions, recipe books, menus, and food labels correctly.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and the ability to work well with all people, particularly the elderly.
- Demonstrate willingness to help other staff when needed.
- May be required to hold valid First Aid Certification.
- Maintain mental alertness, attention, and concentration for necessary periods.
- Apply common sense understanding and carry out instructions (written, oral or diagrammatic).
- Adapt to situations requiring the precise attainment of set limits, tolerances, or standards.
- Regularly required to sit and talk or listen.
- Able to stand, stoop and bend frequently, lift up to 50 pounds and push up to 50 pounds. Also must have the ability to talk, hear, sit, use hands and fingers, handle/feel objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms.
- Specific vision requirements for this job include close vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust the focus of the eyes.
- Possess adequate physical stamina to move freely about the Community and assist residents where needed, including in emergency situations.
The physical demands described must be met by every associate. Reasonable accommodations may be considered to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Must be willing and able to work required and scheduled shifts, including evenings, weekends, overtime and holidays.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to noisy.
- Withstand heat from cooking area and cold from below-zero freezer.
Please apply online with EDEN VILLA AT PLEASANTON