Bette's Oceanview Diner in Berkeley is seeking a Head Chef and Kitchen Manager for Bette's To Go, our take away business. We are a high volume restaurant and deli serving high-end food in a casual setting since 1982. We are looking for a leader with significant management and culinary experience who loves to cook quality, fresh, seasonal, simple food.
The Head Chef & Kitchen Manager is responsible for the good food, staff performance, cleanliness and efficiency of the Bette's To Go kitchen, which serves 600+ take away meals a day. They are the primary person responsible for preparing all food for lunch service (salads, special sandwiches, pizza dough, frittata, etc.), with assistance from other kitchen employees.
They will maintain our standards of fast and friendly service, while working closely with manager of front of house around food handling, food presentation, as well as personnel and operational issues. They will also coordinate food usage and purchasing with Diner Kitchen Manager. Promoting a spirit of teamwork and cooperation among staff is a priority.
- Makes sure that staff follows recipes and approved methods so that food is consistent in appearance and taste
- Write weekly menu of special sandwiches, salads, soups and pizza
- Improve and update recipes as needed
- Create new, seasonal specials
- Determine prep list for the staff every morning - Inventory food and order additional supplies while controlling food costs
- Hire, orient, train and supervise kitchen staff in preparation of all food
- Coordinate all kitchen tasks
- Monitor kitchen cleanliness, food rotation, storage and sanitation
- Write weekly schedule - Create a positive, supportive, creative & professional work environment through clear communication
- Make sure all stations are properly stocked, set up and ready for lunch service
- Check display case at regular intervals to ensure presentation
- Monitor service flow, fill in during breaks and provide back up when necessary during busy periods
- Work closely with To Go Manager to coordinate staff needs, deal with performance issues, insure smooth customer flow and good service
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office for menus and scheduling
- Spanish language a plus
Salary and Benefits:
This is a salaried position. Starting salary range $55-65,000 (commensurate with experience)
The Head Chef position is full-time (5 days/week), with day shifts only. At least one weekend day required. Shift hours are Monday-Friday 6:30 AM-2:30 PM and Saturday/Sunday 7:30 AM-3:30 PM. Must be available to stay later if/when necessary.
Benefits: Health insurance, 401K, profit-sharing, paid vacation
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $55,000.00 to $65,000.00 /year
This Job Is:
Bette’s Oceanview Diner is a Berkeley institution, family-owned and -run since 1982. Most famous for our pancakes — be they buttermilk, cottage cheese, pumpkin or gingerbread — we’re a California-style diner with emphasis on fresh, local ingredients and homemade fare. From our lemon currant scones to our blueberry, bran and donut muffins (rolled in butter then cinnamon sugar), all our baked goods are made on the premises by our fabulous bakers. The coffee steaming in that bottomless cup is roasted in nearby Emeryville and our bagels are from down the street. We like our eggs cooked soft and custardy.
But at Bette’s, it’s not all about the meatloaf. It’s about the overall experience. And in order for that experience to mean something, “somebody has to be home and you have to have a good time,” says Bette.
The music. We bought our 1957 Seaburg jukebox before the stove. The records rotate on a weekly basis, curated by our loyal DJ.
The comfort and style. Burgundy red naugahyde booths, gray linen formica countertop, stainless steel trimming, a gigantic piece of cherry pie in the sky – a real gem of a restaurant.
Above all, the people. They stick around, both customers and staff, many of whom have been around for more than a decade, sometimes two. “Diner people” reflect the whole gamut of life in Berkeley.