San Francisco Community Health Center (formerly known as API Wellness) is a federally qualified health center that provides culturally competent, high quality medical care, health services, education, and outreach. We transform lives by advancing health, wellness and equality. We strengthen the well-being of and lead under-served communities—of all races, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and immigration statuses—toward justice and health. Founded in 1987 as an all-volunteer, community-based response to the AIDS crisis in communities of color, we are an anchor-organization for San Francisco’s Tenderloin neighborhood, and we also lead regional, statewide, and national programming.
We believe that everyone deserves to be healthy and needs access to the highest quality health care.
The Dental Assistant position at San Francisco Community Health Center is involved with all aspects of general dentistry. This includes ensuring the delivery of high quality, low barriers dental services. This position reports to the Dentist.
• Greet and log-in patients arriving at clinic in the appropriate electronic system.
• Ensure dental exam rooms are adequately stocked and ready for patients.
• Prepare patients for dental examination by taking and recording vital signs and medical/dental histories.
• Help patients feel comfortable before, during and after dental treatment.
• Effectively communicate requests from patients to dentist or dental care team members.
• Assist the dentist during a variety of treatment procedures such as taking dental x-rays.
• Clean, sterilize, and maintain an adequate supply of functioning instruments and equipment.
• Prepare instruments, materials and medication for use in dental procedures.
• Instruct patients in oral hygiene and plaque control programs.
• Provide patients with instructions for oral care following surgery or other dental treatment procedures.
• Provide prescription information to pharmacies, as directed by the dentist.
• Record treatment information in patient records using Electronic Dental Records system.
• Inventory stock, order, and verify receipt of dental, lab, or office supplies or equipment.
• Keep equipment operational by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Commitment to Quality
• Demonstrate a commitment to excellent patient experience and quality outcomes in equal measure.
• Communicate and work effectively with providers and other members of the dental care team to best serve patients. Contribute to a welcoming clinical space and healthy work environment through proactive relationship building, direct communication and sound judgment.
• Engaged participation in huddles, staff meetings, team building activities and assigned development opportunities. Continue your professional development through participation in educational opportunities
• Adherence to all SFCHC ethical and professional standards, including SFCHC’s policies and procedures.
• Basic dental assisting practices, terminology, and equipment used.
• Working knowledge of modern computer applications and electronic health records.
• Techniques for cleaning and sterilization of dental equipment, exam rooms and patient treatment areas.
• Experience working with the LGBTQ community and knowledge of the community’s specialized need.
• Knowledge of HIV/AIDS, STIs, substance use, mental health, social service and the disparities that communities of color experience.
• Physical: ability to work in fourhanded dentistry and other job functions that involve continuous movement.
• Communication: Use of clear and effective written and verbal communications skills using the English language with correct spelling and grammar. Able to follow oral/written instructions.
• Interpersonal Skills: Able to work professionally and collaboratively a team member to support the quality/efficiency standards established for the clinic; able to work and communicate with people from various ethnic, socio-economic, educational and life experience. Flexibility in accepting change gracefully.
• Administrative Skills: Ability to perform clerical duties in a methodical, independent and thorough manner with speed and accuracy with minimal supervision. work independently; exercise good judgment; make accurate mathematical computations;
• HS/GED (required), X-Ray License (required), and 1-2 years of experience as a Dental Assistant.
• Non-Licensed DA: DAI (Completion of Dental Assistant Training Program preferred).
• Licensed DA:
o DA: DAII (RDA);
o DAIII (RDA-Extended Function);
o DAIV (RDA-Extended Function II).
• San Francisco, CA
TO APPLY: ONLY applications submitted through our online database will be considered.
Please include both your cover letter and resume when prompted to insert your resume in the database here:
We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits package which includes: medical, dental and vision insurance, generous vacation, sick leave and holidays, one-month sabbatical, 403(b) with employer match, flexible work schedule, flex spending account, life insurance, long-term disability, professional development opportunities and more! (Benefits guidelines and eligibility vary based on tenure, employment status and FTE, among other factors.
Asian & Pacific Islander Wellness Center is an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. Asian & Pacific Islander Wellness Center does not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability status, gender identity, HIV status, marital status, medical condition, genetic information, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records
To transform lives by advancing health, wellness, and equality.
We are an LGBTQ and people of color health organization that believes EVERYONE
deserves to be healthy and needs access to the highest quality health care. We foster
resilience, strength, connection, health, and wellness for all communities. To us, health
care will always be grounded in social justice.
Our core values guide how we fulfill our mission, including our decision making, community collaborators and program delivery.
Our comprehensive, integrated approach to community and individual health puts our clients at the center of our work. Our wide array of medical, mental health, education, and community services are designed to empower people in safe, respectful, and supportive spaces. Individual and community transformations inform our training, consultation, and policy advocacy work.
San Francisco Community Health Center is committed to celebrating and honoring the diversity of our employees and clients. Part of this commitment includes proactively learning about and adopting practices that create an environment where all employees and clients are able to thrive. We include gender pronouns in our agency’s email signatures as a small, but important step to signify respect for all gender identities. As language is a powerful tool, using the correct pronouns for an individual makes one feel valued, included, safe and respected. Gender expression, identity and names do not dictate one’s pronouns. By adding our pronouns to our email signatures, we are stating that we are a gender affirming organization that encourages everyone to be their authentic selves.
San Francisco Community Health Center (formerly known as API Wellness) is a federally qualified health center that provides culturally competent, high quality medical care, health services, education, and outreach. We transform lives by advancing hea
Culture & Perks