TITLE: Payroll Specialist
ORGANIZATION: Conservation Society of California
REPORTS TO: Controller
CLASSIFICATION: Exempt: (x) Non-exempt: ( )
TYPE: Regular: (x) Seasonal/Temporary: ( )
STATUS: Full-time: (x) Part-time: ( )
RATE: Salaried: () Hourly: (x)
The Payroll Specialist is responsible for the complete payroll cycle for the Zoo. The Payroll Specialist also supports the Accounting and Human Resources departments as required. Upholds the mission and values established the East Bay Zoological Society (the “Zoo”) and adheres to policies and procedures as set forth by the Zoo.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform daily payroll department operations.
- Gather information on hours worked for each employee and manage workflow to ensure all payroll transactions are processed accurately and timely.
- Execute eTime and manual time attendance processing and interface with payroll.
- Calculate the correct amount incorporating overtime, deductions, bonuses etc.
- Reconcile payroll prior to transmission and validate confirmed reports.
- Prepare and execute pay orders through direct deposit and generate paychecks.
- Understand proper taxation of employer paid benefits.
- Process correct garnishment and tax levy calculations and compliance.
- Perform compliances for unclaimed property payroll checks.
- Process accurate and timely year-end reporting when necessary.
- Process manual checks for separated and terminated employees.
- Keep track of hours rates, wages, compensation benefit rates, new hire information etc. Coordinate efforts with HR as required ensuring all information is captured accurately and timely (including new hire information, WC codes, salary rates, status changes, etc). Conduct routine payroll audits to ensure accuracy of information.
- Assist External Auditors
- Prepare reports for upper management.
- Process correct PTO balance to individual employees and report to manager after pay period completed.
- Prepare workers compensation reports to the insurance company, maintain current information on all workers’ compensation claims; works with
- Interface with co-workers and outside vendors and handle employee payroll inquiries.
- Provide labor or payroll reports as required and conduct routine payroll audits. Payroll Reporting: maintain leave balances and prepare departmental vacation and sick balance report each month for distribution to department directors, prepare semi-monthly wage expense report and distribute to department leads after the semi-monthly payroll process is complete; provide/process other labor or payroll reports as required.
- Demonstrate knowledge of, and supports, the East Bay Zoological Society’s mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of behavior.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
- Month end Merchant account balance Vs. credit sale revenue reconciliation.
- Managing Retirement Plan contribution and maintain online funding to Vanguard.
- Non-Operating cash handling and deposit to the bank three times a week.
- Prepare daily operating revenue and performance report and report to CEO and CFO.
1) ) Required knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word
- Comprehensive knowledge of UltiPro payroll
- Ability to work independently and maintain confidentiality
- Must be a team-player and able to work under pressure or changing deadlines
2) Minimum educational level:
- Associate degree or greater
3) Experience required:
- Minimum 5 years experience in Payroll
Please note that this job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed the people or person assigned to this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of the personnel for this position. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant, and personnel may be required to perform duties beyond this list or outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time or as needed.