Our mission at The Gray Academy is to create an academic institution that addresses all the needs of the whole child, with a custom individualized approach to learning and therapy. We aim to fill the void of a school that offers a specialized education, coupled with physical, occupational, speech and language, music therapy and additional support to the student and families we serve.
The Gray Academy opened in September of 2018, and became certified by the California Department of Education as a Non Public School last year. We are now well into our second year of serving students with neurological disorders, traumatic brain injuries and global developmental delays. We are looking for a dedicated, experienced Special Education Teacher with a moderate to severe credential. We would like someone that has experience with curriculum development, creating and adapting lesson plans to be individualized for our students, IEP and goal writing. We are looking for someone that is well-organized, a self-starter/leader, patient and collaborative. The Gray Academy, located in Santa Monica, is a small, intimate school that offers an opportunity to really give the appropriate care and attention these children need.
The Special Education Teacher will be supported by a team of adults working collaboratively. We currently employ a SLP, SLPA, OT, PT and an Auditory Vestibular therapist to work with the children and assist in the classroom. An Instructional Aide is on staff to support the teacher with classroom duties. Additionally, we have designated yoga, music, movement and social skills throughout the week.
• Bachelor's Degree from an accredited College or University
• Valid California Education Specialist Instructional Credential - Moderate/Severe Disabilities
• Verification of passing CBEST, CSET and RICA
• CPI Certification or the availability to be training by HBIC/CHDS within first 90 days of employment
• CPR/First Aid Certification or the ability to obtain within 90 days of employment
• Two years' experience in special education preferred.
• Experience working with an alternate curriculum preferred
• Experience in auditing and monitoring of compliance for district, state and federal regulations regarding special education, including facilitating IEP meetings preferred.
• A current background check through the FBI and DOJ must be cleared
• A current TB Test (within last 12 months)
The Gray Academy is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, pregnancy, national origin/ancestry, citizenship, physical/mental disabilities, military status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by law.
We are parents. We are educators. We are therapists. We are caregivers. We are in this together.
In the fall of 2018, The Charlotte and Gwenyth Gray Foundation to Cure Batten Disease is opening The Gray Academy – a K-5 school for exceptional children with neurological needs. As parents of two children with a rare neurodegenerative disorder, Batten disease CLN6, Kristen and Gordon Gray recognize firsthand the daily struggles parents and students face when trying to juggle education with medical needs.