Reporting to the Vice President of Development, the Development Manager supports all East Bay SPCA fundraising projects and activities, with particular emphasis on donor relations, securing public and private grant funding and managing fundraising events. The Development Manager is responsible for supporting and developing activities to attract new donors and to retain and upgrade existing donors. This position is essential to ensuring the optimization of cultivation, recognition and stewardship activities, donor communications and special programs for donors and other key audiences.
Specific Position Responsibilities
- Serve as central liaison between donors and the East Bay SPCA. Provide excellent customer service by accommodating donors’ special needs and requests as appropriate.
- Develop, implement and oversee all Donor Relations programs and activities including personal gift acknowledgements, special donor tours and other donor and prospect correspondence programs. Manage and update existing donor recognition signage and available opportunities.
- Serve as lead staff in the successful planning, execution and follow up of East Bay SPCA fundraising events, including its annual Growl, Meow & Wine signature fundraising gala and new fall fundraising event at the East Bay SPCA shelter in Dublin. This position is also responsible for managing donor cultivation and appreciation events throughout the year.
- Identify, submit and manage grant applications to corporations, foundations and other agencies for event sponsorships, in-kind donations and other East Bay SPCA funding needs.
- Work closely with Marketing team to ensure strategic messaging and brand compliance of all Development communications.
- Work closely with Database Administrator to ensure timely, accurate production of donor and prospect lists and reports. Accurately record and track all donor and prospect activity in donor database. Generate and manage weekly donor/prospect activity reports and monitor follow-up actions.
- Conduct donor and prospect research and produce confidential profiles and reports for staff, board and volunteer use.
- Serve as an ambassador for the East Bay SPCA at all times.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required.
- Minimum of 3 years of professional fundraising experience required, preferably in a nonprofit environment.
- Minimum of 2 years of professional event management experience preferred. Experience in nonprofit fundraising highly desirable.
- Excellent communication skills required, both verbally and in writing, with strong customer service orientation. Must have ability to communicate effectively and professionally with a wide variety of constituents.
- Accuracy and speed using Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Must have advanced knowledge and high comfort level generating reports, budgets and performing data entry, list management, and mail merge.
- CRM database management experience desired. Knowledge of The Raiser’s Edge or other fundraising software a plus.
- Ability to work well both independently and collaboratively with a high degree of professionalism.
- Ability to effectively multi-task and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent reading, writing, research and editing skills with impeccable attention to detail.
- Strong work ethic with initiative to creatively solve problems, improve efficiencies and exceed expectations.
- Must have transportation and availability to work some nights, early mornings, weekends and holidays as needed.
- Experience or familiarity with animal welfare preferred.
- Must be comfortable working in a shelter environment and in close proximity to dogs and cats.
- Work is performed in an animal shelter with exposure to seasonal outdoor conditions.
- Must be comfortable working in close proximity to cats and dogs in a shelter environment. Animal waste contact, smells and visual exposure are prevalent.
- Noise exposure varies and often includes uncontrolled barking and other animal vocalizations.
- Occasional lifting up to 50 lbs. with reasonable accommodation.
The East Bay SPCA offers a wide range of benefits to full-time employees including full medical, dental, and life insurance, a 401K retirement plan, discounted veterinary care and more.
Job Type: Full-time
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off