Experienced Day Time Assistant General Manager
Blu Jam Cafe is hiring a Full-Time Daytime Assistant General Manager for our Brentwood Location.
We are looking for a motivated leader capable of supporting a focused and quality-driven food, beverage, and service operation in a dynamic chef-driven brunch hotspot.
Our restaurant focuses on pristine ingredients, outstanding presentation, and thoughtful service that creates experiences to bring guests back time and time again.
We are seeking a candidate that strives to train and develop staff into outstanding hospitality professionals while working floor shifts, performing administrative duties, and driving sales and guest satisfaction.
Ideal candidates are passionate, driven professionals, experienced in multiple aspects of the restaurant front of house. We are looking for someone results driven, trustworthy and team oriented.
Assistant General Manager
We are seeking an outgoing restaurant professional with the ability to maintain our high standards of quality and guest satisfaction. An immediate opportunity exists.
The Assistant General Manager is responsible for managing the daily operations of our restaurant, including the selection, development and performance management of employees. In addition, they oversee the inventory and ordering of food and supplies, optimize profits and ensure that guests are satisfied with their dining experience.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Oversee and manage all areas of the restaurant and make final decisions on matters of importance when you are MOD.
• Adhere to company standards and service levels to increase sales and minimize costs, including food, beverage, supply, utility and labor costs.
• Responsible for the training, development, and motivation of hourly team members.
• Must be able to prioritize and organize effectively in a high pressure environment.
• Must have a comprehensive knowledge of all menu items/ingredients and ensure staff members do as well.
• Responsible for ensuring that all financial (invoices, reporting) and personnel/payroll related administrative duties are completed accurately, on time and in accordance with company policies and procedures.
• Enforce sanitary practices for food handling, general cleanliness, and maintenance of kitchen and dining areas. Ensure compliance with operational standards, company policies, federal/state/local laws, and ordinances.
• Responsible for ensuring consistent high quality of food preparation and service.
• Maintain professional restaurant image, including restaurant cleanliness, proper uniforms, and appearance standards.
• Must be fast on your feet, a clear thinker, remaining calm and resolving problems using good judgment.
• Work with chefs and management for efficient provisioning and purchasing of supplies. Supervise portion control and quantities of preparation to minimize waste.
• Must be ServSafe certified.
• Will uphold all ServSafe guidelines.
• Ensure positive guest service in all areas. Respond to complaints, taking any and all appropriate actions to turn dissatisfied guests into return guests.
• Ensure that proper security procedures are in place to protect employees, guests and company assets.
• Ensure a safe working and guest environment to reduce the risk of injury and accidents. Completes accident reports for all areas of the restaurant promptly in the event that a guest or employee is injured.
• Manage shifts which include: daily decision making, scheduling, planning while upholding standards, product quality and cleanliness.
• Investigate and resolve complaints concerning food quality and service.
• Provide direction to employees regarding operational and procedural issues.
• Interview hourly employees. Direct hiring, supervision, development and, when necessary, termination of employees.
• Conduct orientations explain our policies, and oversee the training of new employees.
• Complete New Hire paperwork for all staff members.
• Communicate with management on staff related issues.
• Conducts quarterly performance reviews on all FOH and BOH managers.
• Develop employees by providing ongoing feedback, establishing performance expectations and by conducting performance reviews.
• Maintain an accurate and up-to-date plan of restaurant staffing needs. Prepare schedules and ensure that the restaurant is staffed for all shifts and private functions are staffed.
• Review FOH employees on regular basis.
• Provide strong presence in local community and high level of community involvement by restaurant and personnel.
• Self-discipline, initiative, leadership ability and outgoing.
• Pleasant, polite manner and a neat and clean appearance.
• Ability to motivate employees to work as a team to ensure that food and service meet appropriate standards.
• Must have solid computer skills and the ability to use or learn all restaurant computer/POS systems and MS Office.
• Keep the team smiling, focused and energized all day.
• Delegate work assignments, give authority to work independently, set expectations, and monitor delegated activities.
• Prioritize and plan work activities; use time efficiently; and develop realistic action plans.
• Must be able to handle the pressures of simultaneously coordinating a wide range of activities and recommend appropriate solutions to restaurant problems.
• Must possess good communication skills for dealing with diverse staff.
• Ability to coordinate multiple tasks such as food, beverage and labor cost while maintaining required standards of operation in daily restaurant activities.
• Ability to determine applicability of experience and qualifications of job applicants.
• Keeps management promptly and fully informed of all issues (i.e. problems, unusual matters of significance and positive events) and takes prompt corrective action where necessary or suggests alternative courses of action.
• Completes job responsibilities and performance objectives in a timely and effective manner and in accordance with our policies and procedures.
• Maintains a favorable working relationship with all company employees to foster and promote a cooperative and harmonious working climate which will be conducive to maximum employee morale, productivity and efficiency/effectiveness.
• At all times provides a favorable image of our company and to promote its “We Care” philosophy.
• Performs other duties and responsibilities as required or requested.
• Hours may vary if manager must fill in for his/her employees or if emergencies arise.
• Must be able to work on weekends.
• Ability to perform all functions at the restaurant level, including delivery when needed.
• Position requires prolonged standing, bending, stooping, twisting, lifting products and supplies weighing 45 pounds, and repetitive hand and wrist motion.
• Fun, Fast and Energetic Work Environment.
• High-Volume customer contact is required.
• Work with hot, cold, and hazardous equipment as well as operates phones, computers, scanners, copiers, and other office equipment.
• A minimum of 2 years experience in management in a full service restaurant.
• Business Management or Hospitality degree (a plus).
• Proven ability to increase sales and manage cost margins.
• Must have a professional demeanor and a polished appearance.
• Detailed cash handling.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Thrives in a high-energy, high-volume, high-speed environment.
• Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred but not required.
• Live in or near Brentwood (a plus).
• Competitive compensation package.
• Performance based monthly bonuses.
• Major medical insurance options.
• Dental, Vision and life insurance are available.
• Direct deposit.
Hiring for our location in Brentwood, CA (must be available immediately).
$19.00 per hour (DOE) plus monthly bonuses.
Give us your resume/experience by filling out this form:
It started out as an idea between friends— a casual café in Hollywood that would utilize local and organic ingredients to create gourmet breakfast and lunch dishes at an affordable price. Friends and partners Kamil Majer and David Fris shared that dream, which ultimately became a reality in 2006 when the first Blu Jam Café opened its doors on Melrose Avenue.
Kamil and David, who both emigrated to the United States from Czechoslovakia, harkened back to their European heritage to create an environment that felt like home. Holding to the belief that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, they set out to build a creative and elevated menu that merges flavors from around the world. “Breakfast should never be boring,” according to Kamil. “We should look forward to it when we wake up, and treat ourselves to the best food imaginable.”
The name Blu Jam was chosen to celebrate the history of the Melrose location, which had been an underground Jazz club where Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, and countless greats once played. Today, pictures of jazz and blues legends line the walls, and their unforgettable music still dances around the room as it did nearly half a century ago.
From a single restaurant built on the cornerstone of impeccable service, Blu Jam continues to grow. With the help of Jeff Shulem, who joined the team in 2013, brand new Blu Jam Cafés are opening in exciting locations.