We, at CodeLinkd, strongly believe that coding can be used for more than just creating applications. We are extremely passionate about bringing computer science to kids from a very early age, tapping into their endless creativity and helping them create beautiful and responsible code. With exposure to smartphones from their toddler years, kids have a natural interest in computers. To have the ability to harvest that interest and transform it into learning is a huge opportunity.
Learning to code should be compared to learning a new language or a musical instrument. It helps increase perseverance, improves memory, teaches patience, and nurtures creativity. It helps enhance their capacity to reason, solve problems thoughtfully and make effective decisions from a very early age. Coding helps sharpen the analytical and cognitive skills of kids. We strongly believe that we can help discover that hidden potential within kids and teach them how to approach real-world scenarios - all by teaching them how to code.
Coding is a basic life skill. We want these kids to explore careers in different fields where their hearts lie, be it medicine, automotive manufacturing, finance or arts and design - and be well-equipped to do so.
At CodeLinkd, we offer a variety of courses for kids of ages five and up. Our courses have a mix of coding, robotics, circuits, unplugged exercises, and other STEAM concepts.
About the Role: CodeLinkd Instructor
We are looking for a committed part-time instructor to complement our workforce of educators in the discipline of computer science & robotics. Specifically, these instructors will teach coding and robotics courses for kids from ages five to eleven in several community and cultural centers across the South Bay.
We also welcome applications from high school students that are looking for volunteering opportunities in computer science and robotics while assisting our lead instructors in these courses.
The ideal candidate:
- Should have excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Should be passionate towards teaching kids with an ability to connect easily with kids and create a relationship of mutual trust. Prior teaching experience or at least experience interacting with kids is a huge plus!
- Should be able to converse fluently in English
- Should be familiar with computers well enough to be able to troubleshoot problems during class
- Possess an understanding of basic coding concepts. A degree in computer science is not mandatory. Every CodeLinkd instructor will undergo training in order for them to get familiar with the course curriculum and concepts that will be taught in different courses.
- Should be available during CodeLinkd class hours. CodeLinkd classes currently happen during after-school hours on weekdays and for a few hours on weekends.
- Should be able to commute via their own mode of transport to different locations across the South Bay (such as Saratoga, Los Gatos, and San Jose)
- Should be willing to undergo a test for tuberculosis and live scan. Most community and cultural centers require instructors to undergo both tests. CodeLinkd will reimburse any costs involved.
- Should have strong moral values and discipline
- Should possess valid work authorization - U.S. Citizen, Permanent Residence / Green Card, or H4-EAD. CodeLinkd does not currently offer sponsorship of visas.
Their responsibilities include:
- Maintaining a tidy and orderly classroom
- Presenting classes in a simple, straight forward, and comprehensive manner using visual/audio means that is easily understandable by kids
- Leading courses independently. Several training opportunities and guidance will be provided to the candidate before taking on courses.
- Making modifications to the standard curriculum as needed
- Stimulating impromptu discussions and unplugged exercises during the class and ensuring student engagement
- Tracking and Recording progress of each kid
- Setting the pace of each class based upon kids' performances
- Creating a relationship with kids' parents and interacting with them to collect and provide feedback
- Creating and distributing content including notes for parents with a summary of class, screen capture of kids' projects, photos and videos taken during classes
- Distributing class material (like laptops) to kids and collect them back
- Enthusiastically contributing ideas towards the shaping and betterment of the master curriculum and bring creative ideas to the table
The ultimate goal is to cultivate kids' interest towards Coding & Robotics and be their dedicated ally throughout this process of learning and development.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $18.00 to $27.00 /hour
Hours per week:
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a high school diploma/GED
- A “Fair Chance” job (you or the employer follow Fair Chance hiring practices when performing background checks - learn more at https://start.indeed.com/fair-chance)
- Open to applicants under 18 years old, provided it is legally allowed for the job and location
- A good fit for applicants with gaps in their resume, or who have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or more
- A good job for someone just entering the workforce or returning to the workforce with limited experience and education
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
- A job for which people with disabilities are encouraged to apply