Are you a skilled communications and social media manager who is eager to channel your skills and experience to end hunger? If so, consider applying to the San Francisco-Marin Food Bank to become the Communications and Social Media Manager and join the food bank team.
We are currently searching for talent with expertise in managing the food bank’s communications plan and social media channels. The communications and social media manager comes to the food bank with a strategic, creative, integrated and a collaborative approach to managing internal and external communications. This includes taking the lead on building, leveraging and growing the food banks social media operation.
For over 32 years the San Francisco-Marin Food Bank has been feeding people in San Francisco and Marin. We are comprised of a dedicated team of approximately 150 staff working collaboratively to provide close to 50 million pounds of food to over 210,000 people in the Bay Area. The food bank supports 1 in 5 neighbours, who are at risk of hunger in San Francisco and Marin.
We are currently looking for a communications and social media manager to design, implement and execute our communications and social media objectives and initiatives. Please see the job description below and apply today if you would like to join us in our mission to end hunger.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Communications and Social Media Manager leads the implementation of and contributes to the planning and strategy of communications, public relations and social media strategies that promote our work and raise the visibility of the Food Bank. They are responsible for developing compelling content, including stories, about our programs and participants, which are essential to our fundraising efforts. This is an ideal position for an excellent writer and or journalist with strong project management skills. The candidate will need a proven track record in such matters with solid experience with planning and deploying integrated communications and marketing campaigns who is interested in growing their career in a highly collaborative organization.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Build and support a cohesive internal and external communications plan and strategy to support and grow the central mission of the food bank and our community partners.
- Ensure content is on-brand, with a consistent style, quality, tone and within brand guidelines.
- Manage stakeholder communications through Interviews with food bank pantry program participants and coordinators, staff and supporters; develop compelling stories to support fundraising and program efforts on an ongoing basis.
- Manage and lead the creation of the food bank’s monthly newsletter and blog, and serve as its editorial coordinator.
- Manage the graphics, photography and video vendors for a variety of channels, including website, blog, social media, newsletters, and reports.
- Prepare and distribute monthly internal media updates and news coverage. And, other work as assigned.
- Point of contact for all press and media inquiries, managing press and media visits, and manage food bank spokesperson’s needs. Ability to nurture existing food bank press leads and media relationships while forging new ones.
- Write and distribute op-eds, press releases, advisories and review and participate in developing collaborative press releases with other agencies and stakeholders.
- Establish and maintain relationships with local and regional press, media, particularly in the San Francisco Bay Area; expand relationships with social media influencers, blogs and community partner e-newsletters.
- Collaborate closely with the food bank senior leadership team to advance the food bank’s policy work with strategic use of traditional and social media. Develop stories, opinion pieces and media pitches; attain earned media to support the food bank core mission and strategic operational and policy initiatives.
- Identify, and develop speaking opportunities, and prepare talking points for those engagements; coach food bank spokespeople in preparation for media interviews and public appearances.
- Coordinate public relations and media opportunities with Bay Area Food Banks and Feeding America. Monitor and report media coverage focused on the food bank and related issues.
- Participate in Food Bank media events during evenings and weekends as necessary, with a concentrated effort during November and December, including holidays.
- To grow the food bank audience of supporters and donors across all social media channels. Solid experience with creating engaging content including narratives, image-centric posts, video, cross-posting and infographics for use with events, campaigns and other activities as defined in social media planning to promote the food bank mission.
- Manage social media channels by maintaining the social calendar, scheduling posts, and compiling reports of engagement metrics. Provide monthly social media reporting to marketing communications senior leadership.
- Implement earned and paid promotion strategy including boosting, paid ads and audience targeting on Facebook, including Insights, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube.
- Coordinate with the marketing, community engagement, annual fund, policy, and senior leadership staff to ensure their department strategic objectives are reflected in the social media plan and manage their use of social platforms. Work cross-functionally to develop and maintain social media calendars that align with fundraising, policy, advocacy, volunteer events, brand building, and more.
- Manage social media plan and editorial calendar to ensure the food bank’s target audiences receive engaging content and meet interdepartmental objectives for these same audiences.
- Minimum of five years of professional experience in campaign communications, journalism, public relations and social media. Experience working with news media and/or cause-oriented organizations preferred.
- B.A. in journalism, communications, or related field preferred or related experience.
- Excellent writing, storytelling and editing skills.
- Excellent speaking skills with the ability to think on your feet and stay on message when questioned or challenged.
- Experience pitching journalists and responding to media inquiries.
- Established relationships with members of the media community in San Francisco and Marin preferred. (Note: Please be prepared to connect us with a reporter or producer as one of your professional references.)
- Good photography skills; the ability to shoot and edit photos for the food bank’s social media and website.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with individuals (staff, volunteers, and clients) from a variety of socioeconomic backgrounds in a culturally diverse environment.
- Well-organized with exceptional project and deadline management abilities. Easily adaptable to changing circumstances.
- Ability to work effectively in a team setting, think creatively, and be a problem solver.
- Thrive in and foster an environment that values and rewards collaboration, leadership, excellence, accountability, and mutual respect.
- Experience with social media management platforms and tools such as Hootsuite, Agorapulse or similar preferred.
- Efficient using Microsoft Office, Google docs, Adobe Creative Suite, social media platforms and analytics, including third-party.
- Experience in videography a plus.
- Fluency in Cantonese or Spanish a plus.
**To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to complete each of the essential job requirements satisfactorily. The qualifications listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
The San Francisco-Marin Food Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.