826CHI Admin Internships 2019-2020
826CHI is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting students ages 6 to 18 with their creative and expository writing skills, and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our services are structured around the understanding that great leaps in learning can happen with one-on-one attention, and that strong writing skills are fundamental to future success. More information can be found at www.826chi.org.
826CHI is seeking enthusiastic and dedicated interns for semester or year-long terms who will collaborate with our staff, volunteers, and fellow interns. Interns are supervised by an 826CHI staff member, participate in all aspects of 826CHI and have the opportunity to conduct individual projects based on personal skills and interests. 826CHI interns commit to 15-25 hours per week in goal-based work and departmental projects. They will also assist in other areas which include the storefront (The Secret Agent Supply), our front desk, programs and at 826CHI events. All internships are unpaid or for education credit only. Benefits include a small transportation stipend via Ventra Card (upon request), a twenty percent discount at the store, and experience working with our students and our staff of non-profit professionals.
Ideal qualities of an 826CHI Intern:
○ Energetic and engaging individual.
○ Enjoys working with people of all ages.
○ Excited about spending time around youth.
○ Strong interest in supporting platforms for student writing and voice.
○ A passion for supporting writing that centers underrepresented voices.
○ Spanish speaking skills a plus.
This internship can serve as a foundation and stepping stone for a career in nonprofit administration. 826CHI staff will support you in meeting your learning goals. All interns must be willing to learn & practice:
○ Project management & organizational skills.
○ Verbal and written communication skills.
○ Independent and collaborative workflow.
○ Taking positive and constructive feedback.
○ Working with diverse cultures.
○ Being comfortable in youth-led,-youth-centered spaces.
○ Patience, stamina, and flexibility working in a busy, active environment. ○ Google Drive (Docs, Sheets, Forms).
○ Adobe suite (InDesign) - If applicable.
How to Apply:
Applicants must send the following materials in one email to email@example.com:
Social Enterprise: This intern supports the Store Coordinator with the promotion and operations of 826CHI's Secret Agent Supply. Our storefront serves as a way to raise money for the organization and engages and educates the local community about 826 CHI's mission. The ideal intern has an interest in customer service, visual merchandising, marketing, graphic design, or retail management and entrepreneurship.
Nonprofit Development: This intern supports the Director of Development in fundraising efforts. The ideal candidate has a strong interest in telling the story of 826CHI to new audiences, increasing our exposure to Chicago's diverse community of funders, and is seeking experience in creative writing education and youth development within the non-profit setting. This intern also provides support for special events and giving appeals. Strong writing and research skills desired. Grant writing experience a plus.
Volunteer Management & Recruitment: This intern supports the Volunteer Team with managing 826CHI's corps of volunteers. The ideal candidate is someone with a strong interest in being a liaison for 826CHI in the greater Chicago community, as well and helping orchestrate an enthusiastic team of 400 active volunteers and welcoming new members to the organization. Duties will include: maintaining our volunteer database for tracking and sign-ups, community outreach, prep for new volunteer orientations and support appreciation events and campaigns.
● Fall internships begin in September and continue through mid-December
○ Applications taken on a rolling basis until all positions are filled
● Winter/Spring internships begin the second week of January and continue through Mid-June.
○ Application Deadline: November 8th, 2019 ●
Summer internships begin in June/July and continue through August.
○ Application Deadline: March 22nd, 2020 ➔ Applicants seeking college credit are responsible for submitting necessary info and fulfillment requirements to 826CHI.
Commitment to Inclusion As an organization committed to encouraging youth in their creative expression, personal growth, and academic success, 826CHI recognizes the importance of diversity at all levels and in all aspects of our work. In order to build and maintain the safe, supportive 826 environment in which great leaps of learning occur, we commit to inclusion: we will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, nationality, marital status, language, parental status, military service, or (dis)ability. We strive to put our values into action through planning, decision making, and community building. 826CHI is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic team. We strongly encourage applicants from underrepresented communities in the education and nonprofit sectors to apply.
Do you love our mission but have questions about how your experience aligns with these positions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!
11-50 team members
Culture & Perks