Food and Beverage
Chef Owner/General Manager.
The Sous Chef is responsible to assist the Chef de Cuisine for overall kitchen operation as a successful independent profit center, ensuring maximum guest satisfaction, through planning, organizing, directing, and controlling the kitchen operation and administration.
Exhibits culinary talents by personally performing tasks while assisting in leading the staff and managing all food related functions. Assists in supervising all kitchen areas to ensure a consistent, high quality product is produced.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain a positive work environment by managing, working and communicating in a courteous and professional manner with all guests, co-workers and vendors.
- Proven skills in leadership, delegating, strong teamwork, working well under pressure, being self-motivated, and improving culinary knowledge to kitchen staff.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, troubleshoot effectively, detail-oriented with good organizational skills, performing work accurately and efficiently.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to innovate and implement new ideas.
- Exhibit culinary talent by personally performing day-to-day tasks, while leading the staff
with clear/concise instructions to increased productivity.
- Ensure exceptional quality of all ingredients, preparation and plating of food items.
- Aware of all financial budgets and goals.
- Ensure that all recipes and product yields are accurately costed and reviewed regularly.
- Work closely with Chef owner and Chef de Cuisine in creative menu planning.
- Ensure that food stock levels within the culinary department areas are of sufficient
quantity and quality.
- Ensure that all food products received at Hitachino are of the required standard and
quality and that they are stored and rotated correctly.
- Ensure that all food items are prepared as per standard recipe cards while maintaining
portion control and minimizing waste.
- Ensure that sanitation standards as set forth by local, state and federal Health Department
regulations are in compliance as well as the cleanliness and organization of the kitchen
and its equipment as well as training staff on proper sanitation guidelines.
- Assess the need for and report necessary kitchen repairs. Responsible to ensure proper
maintenance of equipment.
- Monitor and maintain use of safe food handling procedures as well as a safe working
environment by using and ensuring staff use correct food handling skills and food safety
- Other duties as assigned by chef owner or manager.