SUMMARY: Lead Instructors plan and execute our cooking classes, camps, parties and other programs both on- and off-site.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Create procedures for cooking programs and calculate recipe breakdowns
● Prep and set up for programs (food, tools, and space - and proper packing of food and bins for offsites)
● Instruct all programs with proper techniques, age-appropriate, engaging dialogue and relevant food facts (and adapt procedure mid-program if needed)
● Support other Lead Instructors as needed in back-of-house (prep, cooking, plating, etc.)
● Ensure food sanitation and safety standards are being followed at all times, including awareness and accommodation of allergies
● Ensure proper timing and flow of programs
● Maintain food quality (follow recipe and make sure it tastes good)
● Maintain a peaceful and fun learning environment using positive discipline techniques
● Ensure cleanliness of the kitchen and classrooms before, during and after programs
● Assist with dishes, laundry, and waste disposal throughout the day, as well as end of day closing procedures and periodic deep cleaning tasks
● Give direction to Class Assistants so they can provide the needed support
● Manage check in/out process of camps
● Lead field trips during camp as needed and ensure safety of children
● Arrange appropriate transportation for offsite programs (both with kids on field trips and for instructors only on offsites)
● Maintain current knowledge of basic information about all programs
● Communicate with customers (adults and children) as appropriate
● Assist with administrative and gardening tasks as needed
● Run hands-on cooking projects and represent Kids' Table at street festivals, farmers markets, and other public events
● Honor The Kids’ Table mission and values in all tasks and interactions
● Assist with promotional efforts
● Bring the positive energy and collaborative spirit to work every day
● This job has no direct reports.
● Indirectly supervises 3-6 employees.
● Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organizations policies and applicable laws.
● Responsibilities include planning, assigning and directing work.
● Associates Degree (AA) or equivalent from a two-year culinary arts program, or six months to one year related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience can be formal/professional or someone who is a strong home cook.
● Experience working with children is preferred; strong comfort level interacting with children is required.
● Certificates, licenses and trainings required: ServSafe Food Handler Certificate (can be obtained upon hire), completion of Mandated Reporter training, and any other required certifications or trainings as needed
Other skills required:
o Ability to work in teams and communicate clearly with managers and other team members
o Ability to work calmly and effectively under pressure
o Ability to stand and exert fast-paced mobility for entire shift
o Strong belief that learning and growth are keys to personal and professional success, and willingness and ability to share with and teach others
o Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
o Passion for The Kids’ Table mission, pride in doing good work, positive attitude, and belief that customer satisfaction comes first
The Kids’ Table is the premier Chicago cooking school for kids and families. We teach folks of all ages (starting at just 18 months!) that cooking is fun, and “real food” is really good! We run classes, parties, camps, and school programs at our two locations (in Chicago’s Wicker Park and Lakeview neighborhoods), as well as at offsite locations around Chicagoland. If you are a kind human who is passionate about food, kids, and having a meaningful impact on the world and the people around you, we hope you’ll consider joining our team!
Do you love food, kids, and the idea of changing the world one meal at a time? We are a unique Chicago cooking school for kids and families, and we're looking to hire people who are passionate about changing the way people eat.
Culture & Perks