Preschool Teacher (Spanish Bilingual preferred)
POSITION: Group Preschool Teacher
WORK HOURS: Full Time, Monday - Friday
SALARY: Non-exempt, depending on qualifications/experience
REPORTS TO: Site Supervisor
* 12 days vacation/year. Paid holidays and breaks (winter break & 1 week summer break)
* Full Time employees eligible for full benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life) upon successful completion of 30 day introductory period.
Potrero Kids (PK) is a year round, Spanish bilingual, dual-campus preschool operated by the Potrero Residents Education Fund (PREFund). Ideal candidates have extensive preschool and toddler teaching experience and are creative with project approach curriculum. In this exciting and challenging role, you will have a direct impact in maintaining a safe, healthy and inspiring learning environment for children. Success in this role comes through collaboration with the Program Director and skilled staff, a diverse population of families, and passionate community stakeholders. Go to potrerokids.org to learn more.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
· Work closely with other teaching staff in developing and implementing a high quality classroom and child development program ensuring that classroom activities are in keeping with the program's curriculum and philosophy (CSEFEL, ECERS/CLASS and Developmentally Appropriate Practices).
· Provide individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs and interests of each child.
· Supervise children under his/her care at all times to ensure their safety and proper student/teacher ratios.
· Consistently follow school protocols and procedures at all times.
· Provide educational and therapeutic activities for children across the general areas of gross and fine motor, imitation, social responsiveness, exploration, self-help, competence, language, emotional and perceptual cognitive development using weekly activity plans or individual program plans.
· Work cooperatively with parents, staff and third party consultants to meet the individual needs of children and their families.
· Timely completion of requirements and paperwork, including but not limited to: weekly lesson plans and newsletters, screenings, assessments and referrals, student evaluations, parent-teacher conferences and maintain student documentation (portfolios).
· Track classroom materials and purchase requests.
· Work in collaboration with your team to determine weekly activities/vocabulary.
· Review all classroom communication to parents to ensure clarity and consistency.
· Positive Role Model: work with staff in creating a warm, nurturing, and respectful atmosphere for the children to be encouraged to learn and grow.
· Create, support and promote a team environment by encouraging and facilitating problem solving.
· Participates in annual ECERS/CLASS assessments; works with classroom staff to set goals and implement methods for improving classroom functioning.
* Ideal candidate is bilingual in English and Spanish, but will consider candidates who are not fully bilingual
* Must have at least 2-3 years experience with preschoolers (age 3-5 years)
* BA or AA in Early Childhood Education, child development, human development or a related field
* Teacher permit is a must
* Computer literacy is a must (e.g. comfortable crafting/sending emails, proficient in MS Word)
· Strong written and oral communication skills; ability to independently understand, speak, read and write English adequate to communicate effectively with children, parents and staff
· Ability to relate to children and adults in a positive, respectful manner
· Upon hire, must pass a Department of Justice fingerprint clearance and a Child Abuse Index clearance as required by licensing
· Must be willing to continue educational growth towards a Bachelors Degree and/or Site Supervisor’s Permit
· Knowledge of and sensitivity to the cultural and socioeconomic background of the children and families being served
· Strong leadership and management skills; ability to work with a staff of varying educational and experiential backgrounds with sensitive leadership, maturity, and stability
· Ability to work independently but also able accept supervision and work closely with the Site Supervisor
HEALTH AND SAFETY REQUIREMENTS:
Submit cover letter, resume and 2 to 3 letters of recommendation.
Potrero Kids (PK) is a year round, Spanish bilingual, dual-campus preschool operated by the Potrero Residents Education Fund (PREFund). Open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:50 p.m. and serving three meals a day, PK provides high quality preschool services to the working families of San Francisco's Potrero Hill and Eastern Neighborhood communities. PK's first campus is a unique concept -- a private bilingual preschool located on a public elementary school campus. Considered a pilot program, the Potrero Kids at Daniel Webster (PKDW) preschool is integral to expanding community support for Daniel Webster Elementary School while also providing a much-needed preschool option in Potrero Hill. In the fall of 2012, PK expanded to include a new campus on Third Street (PK3) in the Dogpatch neighborhood.