Summary: Kara seeks an individual who desires to be an integral member of our unique organization that has delivered healing to the community for over 40 years. As the Operations & Client Services Manager, you will work under the direction of the leadership team (Executive Director and Director of Client Services & Programs) to implement and coordinate day-to-day agency operations and ensure clients receive compassionate, reliable and impeccable customer service. A passion for our mission of serving the bereaved combined with proven skills in operations management and client services are keys for success. The duties of the Operations & Client Services Manager include but are not limited to the following:
Essential Job Duties/Responsibilities
• Oversees facility operations by ensuring all meeting rooms are in good working order and stocked with appropriate supplies, including kitchen area and shared meeting spaces.
• Serves as primary liaison with facility representative(s) to address all day to day operations and logistics issues including room reservations requests, maintenance concerns, and building security issues.
• Serves as primary liaison with vendors and suppliers in support of agency logistics including but not limited to: Custodial, Information Technology, Cloud-based systems, Phone system, Mail services, and Leased Equipment.
• Serves as primary liaison with vendors and contractors in support of agency operations including but not limited to: Insurance, Background Checks, Quarterly Sales Tax Filing, and Printed Collateral
• Processes and distributes all incoming correspondence, mail, deliveries, and monetary receipts in accordance with established procedures.
• Manages and maintains agency-wide office supplies and materials including marketing brochures, letterhead, business cards and other printed collateral.
• Ensures all office equipment is appropriately maintained and in working order
• Manages and coordinates meeting room reservations at off-site locations in support of agency-wide and program specific events and activities.
• Manages operational volunteers and tracks and records annual donated professional volunteer hours
• Manages preparation and logistics for agency staff meetings, volunteer trainings, board meetings, and select special events
• Serves as the primary key custodian, ensuring all keys are distributed and maintained per established procedures.
• Responsible for addressing facility security and safety issues including filing accident/incident reports.
• Manages and provides guidance and training of Client Services Associate and Administrative Associate
• Maintains agency-wide operational yearly calendar
• Maintains organizational vendor and contract files
• Maintains, creates, and updates agency operational policies and procedures
• Serves as primary liaison and communicator with other tenants on property
• Proactively identifies and proposes opportunities to improve efficiency of operational systems and processes.
• Other agency-related duties as assigned
Client Services Focus
• Responsible for providing excellent customer service and ensuring operational staff does the same, including understanding and communicating the service options available to potential clients.
• Ensures all guests, clients and volunteers are greeted and directed in a hospitable and helpful manner.
• Manages all incoming service request calls with compassion and care, capturing and recording appropriate information, and routing requests to appropriate service program(s).
• Keeps informational service related collateral and resources updated and accessible throughout the facility
• Manages all incoming web-based service request submissions, routing requests to appropriate service program(s) and staff.
• Collaborates with program directors and staff to ensure client service requests are managed appropriately.
• Maintains current information on community resources that supplement grief support services for staff, volunteers and clients
• Maintains supplies for select Drop-In grief groups
• Assists, supports and guides volunteers with meeting room reservations as needed
• Supports the onboarding and orientation of all new staff members as well as Therapy Program associates.
• Produces monthly Service Request reports for analysis and data review.
• Regularly communicates with Executive Director and Director of Client Services and Programs regarding significant client issues or concerns.
• Maintains the Room Reservation System; including room reservation request procedures, user administration, processing and troubleshooting.
• Manages the grief-related books lending library
• Addresses all non-service related requests (phone and web) in a timely manner per organizational procedures
• Prepares written information and documentation for agency-related reports regarding client services.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Keen understanding of Kara's mission of providing grief support and a commitment to our guiding values of empathy and compassion
• A ‘client centered’ focus and appreciation of the challenges faced by individuals navigating loss and grief
• High degree of compassionate presence and patience
• High standard of professionalism and integrity
• Hospitable manner, positive attitude, and sense of humor
• A team player and team builder
• Excellent interpersonal skills; an ability to interact professionally and effectively with clients, staff, volunteers, board members, community partners, and vendors.
• Strong verbal communication skills; including excellent phone conversation abilities
• Strong written communication skills
• Ability to resolve problems with patience, respect, and professionalism
• Ability to embrace and maintain confidentiality
• Excellent organizational, time management, planning and problem solving skills
• Flexible, resourceful and innovative; strong initiative and follow-through skills
• Ability to work successfully under pressure and to handle competing priorities with minimal supervision
• Quick to learn, and devise or apply ideas; and willingness to ask for assistance
• Capacity to plan, coordinate, and prioritize tasks and projects while keeping appropriate personnel apprised
• Strong managerial skills including effective training and volunteer supervision
• Keen understanding of operational processes and procedures within an organization
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Apps Suite (mail, calendar, tasks, drive file stream, docs), Internet navigation, Database (cloud & software) applications, and familiarity with design software (Adobe Suite).
• Proficiency in operating office equipment (copiers, printers, scanners, faxes, phone systems) and basic IT and computer networking understanding
• Ability to work evenings and weekends periodically
• Management of Operations and Client Services support staff as well as operational volunteers
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent, Masters preferred
• 5 to 7 years experience in equivalent role or position
• Bi-lingual (Spanish) preferred
• Social Services field experience a plus
• Nonprofit experience a plus
• Proven volunteer experience and management a plus
Compensation & Benefits
40 hours per week (exempt)
Salary Range $58,000 – $63,000
Employer paid group health benefits (medical, vision, dental)
403b and FSA options (employee paid)
View our 2018 Annual Impact Report
As a nonprofit organization serving the San Francisco Bay Area since 1976, Kara provides comprehensive grief support, crisis intervention and education to individuals and communities facing the difficult realities of grief and loss. Guided by compassion and empathy, every day we offer caring support to children and adults and provide a space where those in grief find deep relief in the company of others. Through a time-tested and highly effective peer support model (adopted from the Shanti Model of peer support originated by Dr. Charles Garfield), over 200 volunteers compassionately serve children and adults on their journey through grief so they can move toward renewed hope and meaning. Our services are designed to be accessible, and we are funded primarily by charitable donations and the heartfelt generosity of the community we serve.
We have been providing care and compassion to the bereaved in our community since 1976. Our staff and volunteers are guided by the principle of listening, speaking, and acting from the heart in service to others.
11-50 team members
Culture & Perks