JOB TITLE: LEAD TEACHER
PROGRAM: CHIBI CHAN PRESCHOOL
LOCATIONS: 2507 PINE STREET, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94115; 800 PRESIDIO AVENUE, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94115
SALARY: DOE, FULL-TIME POSITION INCLUDING GENEROUS BENEFITS (MEDICAL, DENTAL, VISION, LIFE INSURANCE, RETIREMENT MATCHING, PAID VACATION, HOLIDAYS AND ROTATING STAFF PARKING )
Chibi Chan Preschool, a child development program of JCYC, offers a nurturing and stimulating environment for children age 2 to 5 years old. We understand the process of developmental stages and we introduce new concepts according to each child’s ability and age. Our curriculum is Project Approach, which is an in-depth investigation on a topic that is both concrete and close to children’s personal experiences, so that it is rich in possibilities for varied learning activities and for sustaining long-term interest in children.
JCYC is a non-profit §501c(3) agency which annually serves 5,000 children and youth from all ethnic backgrounds through numerous programs including preschool, employment training and placement, substance abuse prevention and educational advising. For more info about Chibi Chan Preschool and JCYC go to www.jcyc.org.
The Lead Teacher is responsible for the nurturing care and supervision of children ages 2 – 5 years old. The Lead Teacher reports to the Director and/or Associate Director. Major responsibilities include: 1) planning and executing the educational program in accordance with the purpose and goals of Chibi Chan Preschool 2) general overall supervision and classroom management needed in the classroom (environment, activities, outside play, circle time, nap time, outside field trips etc.) and 3) the overall supervision of their classroom staff. The Lead Teacher’s responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to, the following:
Early Childhood Development
• Facilitate and supervise all daily activities to ensure a nurturing, friendly, and supportive learning environment;
• Ensure and monitor daily curriculum planning and preparation that is age appropriate, culturally sensitive, hands-on, and fun by incorporating a variety of interests including art, music, literature, and science;
• Review, assist, monitor on-going assessments including updating children portfolios, conducting the Desired Results Assessment or the Developmental Assessment and writing Child Update Form on children (2 per month/each child);
• Plan and modify program to meet the needs of children, addressing areas of special needs, different learning styles, social, emotional and physical needs as well as talents and interests;
• Implement Desired Results Developmental Profile (DRDP) on all Preschool For All (PFA) children;
• Interact and observe children through play, treat children with dignity and respect, encourage involvement with other children;
• Ensure program plans are in accordance with the policies and philosophy of NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct, Chibi Chan Preschool and JCYC;
• Maintain communication with parents concerning child’s development including conducting two parent/teacher conferences and/or additional conferences if needed or requested by parent;
• Work with parents to promote understanding of their child’s growth and development; encourage parent participation in school programs.
• Manage and supervise on-sight staff including planning and conduction weekly staff meetings, disseminating program instructions and information from the Director or Associate Director, assigning daily duties and assisting in training teachers, teacher aids and volunteers;
• Assist the Director/Associate Director in the evaluation of your classroom staff;
• Collaborate and participate in all school fundraisers and JCYC agency events;
• Participate in advocacy initiatives prioritized by JCYC;
• Other duties as needed.
EDUCATION: BA Degree in Early Childhood or related field.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum 2 years experience providing care in Early Childhood Development. Background and/or knowledge of the conduction Desired Results Developmental Profile (DRDP) preferred. Ability to work with diverse communities. Professional, strong communication, organization and follow-through skills. Able to work in a team environment.
HOW TO APPLY
Please no phone calls. Email resume and cover letter to: Shana Kanzaki at skanzaki AT jcyc.org.
PLEASE NOTE: Chibi Chan Preschool, a program of JCYC, actively seeks to hire and promote individuals, recruit volunteers and provide services to individuals without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religious creed, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, or presence of non-job related conditions or disabilities. All employees of JCYC participate in a criminal background investigation. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
JCYC’s mission is to cultivate and enrich the lives of children and youth from diverse, multi-cultural communities throughout San Francisco and beyond. Through a continuum of services, JCYC programs can support children and youth from the time they start pre-school until they are ready to move onto college. In addition to providing direct services, JCYC has also organized and continues to lead some of the largest and most successful youth collaborations in San Francisco.
Culture & Perks