Red Bay Coffee is looking for an Area Lead to grow and drive success in our retail locations in the Bay Area market. This role will be responsible for managing multiple store locations to financial success, operational efficiency, and excellent guest service experience, as well as assisting with opening new stores. The role supports the Retail Leadership team, coaching and managing each Retail Store Manager to hitting their revenue, operational and guest service goals.
About the role:
Reporting to the Director of Operations and Finance, the Retail Area Lead will responsible for managing multiple store locations to financial success, operational efficiency, and excellent guest service experience, as well as assisting with opening new stores. You must have knowledge of P&L management, brand management, and retail operations are key requirements for this position. You will drive our retail stores’ financial success, improve overall efficiency in our retail operations and create excellent guest service experiences, and launch new store locations.
Ultimately, you will ensure our retail store’s success. This position will be based in Oakland, CA and report directly to our Director of Operations & Finance. This role is a full-time exempt position.
What you will do:
- Build, coach and inspire our retail teams to high performance by capitalizing on their strengths and refining their areas of improvement
- Create and advance a strong team of Store Managers, Shift Leads, Lead Baristas, and Baristas whose work exemplifies quality, sustainability, and humanity
- Stay grounded in the nitty-gritty of store operations to inform high-level thinking by occasionally working floor shifts
- Craft every retail location to exemplify our core values of service, community, and excellence as a means to constantly be improving our guest experiences
- Grow a portfolio of successful cafes: develop market level strategies to achieve each store's financial, operational and guest-service goals, while addressing each store's unique strengths and challenges.
- Advise on the design of new retail locations and launch new locations
- Partner with our Production, Quality Control, Training, Store Development, Design, and Marketing departments to ensure the excellence of everything we provide in our guest experiences
- Be consistently focused on store financial growth, retail leadership growth, and guest experience
- Set a good example for our retail leadership teams and take point on leading retail leadership meetings to meet retail goals
What you will bring:
- Mission-driven people leadership, supporting and challenging your people to be and do their absolute best. You see managing others to step up and be accountable as a necessary part of effective leadership.
- Guest service focus, making sure every unique feature of Red Bay Coffee and how we connect with the communities we serve is at it’s best
- Loves challenging and ambitious goals and data-driven problem-solving.
- Always proactive in improving you and your team’s results and impact through looking critically at what’s in front of you and trying new things, and looking historically to avoid making the same mistakes again.
- Able to balance both the big picture and the nitty-gritty in shaping and leading the strategy for Retail while also driving excellent day-to-day operations at the smallest level of detail
- Articulate and effective in your written and verbal communications to people at all levels of the company - you get to the point but do it with confidence, humanity, and grace
- Flexible and creative in problem-solving - you roll with the punches and have fun doing it
- Organized, focused and tends towards goal setting, retrospectives and is able to learn from their mistakes
What you will need:
- 10+ years in retail management, with specific experience managing other retail leaders
- 5+ years strong financial acumen - managing the financial success of multiple retail locations
- Prior new store opening experience would be ideal
- Prior experience in coffee or food & beverage
- Strong verbal and written communication
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Flexibility and adaptability are a must! you will need to be comfortable with ambiguity and frequent change as we scale and grow
- A love and respect of delicious coffee, food, and amazing guest experiences
- Ability to travel as needed
Benefits we currently offer:
- Flexible Vacation Policy
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Plans (after 60 days)
- CalSavers Retirement savings plan option
- Commuter & FSA Benefits
- Professional development opportunities
- Access to Coffee Education & Training program
- Drinks at our locations & a weekly complimentary bag of beans
- Discounts on Red Bay Coffee food, merchandise, etc.
- Free access to Red Bay Coffee curated events
- Be a part of a beautiful diverse, inclusive, and community-driven culture