POSITION: CASE MANAGEMENT & NAVIGATION SPECIALIST CLASSIFICATION/FLSA: FULL-TIME/NON-EXEMPT
Upward Bound House (UBH) is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to eliminate homelessness among families with children in Los Angeles by providing housing, supportive services, and advocacy. The organization carries out this mission by operating programs that provide both temporary and permanent housing resources to homeless families. UBH’s integrated programs provide clients with concentrated and coordinated access to services according to the nature of their needs. This position will work in our Transitional Housing Program for Transition Age Youth (TAY) families located in South Los Angeles.
The Case Manager & Navigation Specialist builds and fosters healthy relationships with TAY and assists with helping them secure permanent housing; Provides life coaching and case management services to address multiple complex needs and reduce barriers, including referrals to UBH programs and/or other community resources.
- Provide life coaching and support services applying strengths-based, Positive Youth Development, and consumer-centered approaches.
- Develop a service plan to establish goals and action steps toward stabilization, independent living, and self-sufficiency in conjunction with the youth.
- Help youth develop permanent connections in their lives to strengthen their support network.
- Assist youth in identifying and accessing services necessary to reach long-term housing goals.
- Utilize personal vehicle, in good working order, to transport youth to appointments when necessary.
- Meet with youth every bi-weekly (more often when needed and less as youth matures in their goals), to monitor progress and /or barriers toward achieving their life aspiration goals.
- Provide crisis intervention as needed.
- Work with UBH team members and community partners, and with input from youth, develop and implement engaging activities and outings.
- Help youth identify and find housing options including assisting with completing housing and credit check applications.
- Perform recordkeeping and reporting of program activities on electronic reporting systems such as HMIS for outcomes and evaluation; and complete progress notes and program-related reporting as required.
- Report issues and problems to supervisor and management.
- Attend staff meetings.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.The duties and responsibilities listed are designed to provide typical examples of the work performed; not all duties and responsibilities assigned are included here, nor is it expected that all similar positions will be assigned every duty and responsibility.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in social work, human services or a related field; a combination of education and experience may be substituted.
- One year experience providing services to persons experiencing homelessness preferably Transition Age.
- Demonstrated experience in working with at-risk youth to reach their housing, employment, or education goals.
- Demonstrated experience in one or more of the following areas: mental health, chemical dependency, emotional/behavioral special education, at-risk youth issues.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to work effectively with youth with a variety of identities, cultures, and backgrounds including ethnic/racial minorities and LGBTQ youth.
- Knowledge of Trauma-Informed Care and Practices a plus.
- Ability to work collaboratively, but independently.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Creative problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
- Ability to work with diverse population.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Experience using a data management system to record client information and
- Employment with UBH is contingent on completion of satisfactory background check.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Valid California Driver’s License and proof of auto insurance.
- TB Test Clearance (upon hire).
To be considered for a position, email resume to hr@upwardboundhouse(dot)org. Please be sure to reference Job Title in the subject line of your email. Due to the volume of resumes received, no calls or faxes regarding submission will be returned. Your resume will only be routed correctly and considered, if all the qualifications are met.
Job Type: Full-time
- working with homelessness, particularly Transition Age Youth: 1 year (Preferred)
- United States (Preferred)