TITLE: Hollywood Farmers’ Market Assistant
STATUS: Part-time Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Manager, Farmers’ Markets
Sustainable Economic Enterprises of Los Angeles is the largest mission-driven operator of farmers’ markets in Southern California and a leader in improving food access and nutrition education. SEE-LA is seeking a part-time Farmers’ Market Assistant to provide on-site and administrative office support to the Hollywood Farmers’ Market. The Hollywood Farmers’ Market is SEE-LA’s oldest and largest market and operates every Sunday from 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM at Ivar and Selma Avenue in Hollywood, CA. This position requires working Sundays at the market (6:30 AM - 3 PM) and one (1), eight (8) hour office day: Mondays.
▪ Experience or interest in Certified Farmers’ Markets, health and wellness, nutrition, food assistance programs and community outreach.
▪ Experience working collaboratively with a wide variety of individuals, businesses and organizations.
▪ Ability to communicate effectively with farmers, vendors, government inspectors, market partners and community members.
▪ Computer literacy (MS Office Suite, internet applications, email marketing and social media)
▪ Comfortable handling cash and adept at basic math skills.
▪ Highly organized and detail oriented.
▪ Must be able to work Sundays and Mondays.
▪ Fluency in Spanish preferred.
Hollywood Farmers’ Market, Sundays 6:30 AM - 3 PM
● Support Manager, Farmers’ Markets with the tasks related to the on-site operation of the Hollywood Farmers’ Market which include, but are not limited to:
○ Physical set-up and take-down of Information Booth
○ Gather and organize market supplies
○ Assist vendors with proper placement in stalls
○ Enforce SEE-LA rules and other pertinent Regional, State, and Federal laws and regulations (Direct Marketing, California Retail Food Code, etc.)
○ Communicate market policies, activities, and rules to all vendors
○ Resolve emergencies, complaints, and requests from vendors, customers and community partners
○ Maintain market grounds in a safe manner
○ Operate information / retail booth as needed
○ Distribute Load Lists, market memos, and other market and mass correspondence to market vendors
○ Maintain market supply inventory
○ Effectively facilitate vendor check out
○ Update social media (Instagram feed and stories, Facebook, Twitter) with relevant market news, vendor updates, seasonal finds, etc.
○ Provide support for special events such as food demonstrations, cultural celebrations, book signings, etc. ○ Participate in team meetings
○ Assure the market site is clean once the market is closed and vendors have left
Office, Mondays 9:30 AM - 6 PM
● Manage weekly market accounting and reconciling:
○ Process all load lists from the previous market day
○ Reconcile and submit all forms of payment including cash, EBT and Market Match
○ Complete weekly market day sales reports
○ Organize and replenish EBT / Market Match supplies
○ Create and prepare Market Money as needed
● Renew market supplies (post-its, paper clips, etc.) and organize items for upcoming market
● Prepare monthly market files
● Coordinate preparation and pick up of parking validation tickets at the Arclight
● Research seasonal recipes for newsletter, information booth handouts, and social media as needed
● Prepare monthly Market Scrip for Volunteer Programs
May perform related duties as assigned by management.
DISCLAIMER: The above is intended to describe the general contents and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
Please submit cover letter and resume via email to:email@example.com (Subject Line: Hollywood Farmers’ Market Assistant). Email submissions only. No phone calls or faxes will be accepted. Opportunity is open until filled.
SEE-LA is an equal opportunity employer.
SEE-LA’s mission is to build sustainable food systems and promote social and cultural activities that benefit both low-to-moderate income residents of Los Angeles while also supporting California small- and mid-sized farms and local small businesses
Sustainable Economic Enterprises of Los Angeles is the largest mission-driven operator of farmers’ markets in Southern California and a leader in improving food access and nutrition education.
11-50 team members
Culture & Perks