ORGANIZATION BACKGROUND: Founded in 1992, After-School All-Stars provides free, daily afterschool programs to over 90,000 youth in over 450 school sites in 19 chapters across the U.S. Our goals for our All-Stars are: to be healthy and active, to graduate high school and go on to college, to find a job that they love and to give back to their communities.
A UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY: After-School All-Stars is currently seeking a Director of Development (DOD), with a focus on New Business Fundraising for the Philadelphia/Camden Chapter. Reporting to the Executive Director, the DOD’s primary responsibility will be to identify, steward, and secure new private funders to support the chapter’s operations and programming. It is expected that the majority (~70%) of focus will be on the cultivation of new individual donors, corporate and foundation partners, with remaining time being spent on renewing and providing stewardship of the chapter’s foundation relationships. The DOD will work collaboratively with the executive director and chapter’s Advisory Board and the national development team.
· Plan and strategize with the executive director and Advisory Board to solicit large individual, government, corporate and foundation gifts and grants.
· Research and identify new funding prospects capable of supporting ASAS major gifts and donations.
· Conduct cold outreach (email, phone, in-person networking at industry events), resulting in pitching to and soliciting large donations from new institutional funders to the organization.
o Develop new partnerships with Fortune 500 corporations through traditional grant partnerships, cause marketing, commercial co-ventures, and employee engagement
o Secure grants from chapter’s education/SEL/health/youth-development-focused foundations
· Establish, cultivate, and maintain relationships with corporate/foundation program officers, government officials, marketing professionals, and executives
· Prepare and write proposals for new and continuing funding opportunities
· Oversee partnership deliverables including execution of activation events (with support from the marketing manager) and partner recognition
· Ensure that philanthropy and fund development are carried out in keeping with the organization’s values, mission, vision and strategic program quality improvement, research and evaluation plans
· Work with executive director and Advisory Board to share information, resources, and leads and collaborate on chapter’s efforts
· Provide supervision of marketing manager, to ensure marketing efforts and organization system’s like salesforce are maximized and support fundraising goals.
WHO SHOULD APPLY? The DOD should embody ASAS’s core values: accountable, collaborative, transparent, proactive, and entrepreneurial, and demonstrate a commitment to the mission of helping kids succeed in school and in life. This individual will have demonstrated success in development and fundraising, building new relationships, and working in a collaborative style. S/he will be excited to pitch and cultivate new donors and execution of donor activations. The DOD should be an open, confident professional who enjoys working in an entrepreneurial setting. The ideal candidate will also demonstrate the following:
· 5 to 7 years of relevant experience in fundraising, especially new business development
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Dependable, conscientious, detail oriented and capable of managing deadlines
· Capable of working independently as well as part of a team
· Flexible and able to adapt to a fast-paced, ever-evolving environment
· An undergraduate degree is required
TRAITS AND CHARACTERISTICS: The individual is expected to be experienced in the field of nonprofit fund development with demonstrated success in cultivating individual donors, corporate sponsorship, and foundation grants. The DOD will exemplify the ASAS core values: entrepreneurial, collaborative, proactive, transparent, and accountable. Strong written and oral communication skills are essential. Experience with grants and a successful fundraising track record in Philadelphia is preferable.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: The salary for this position is commensurate with qualifications and experience of the individual candidate. ASAS promotes a healthy work/life blend and offers a competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, a 403b match, 18 days of paid time off, flex time, and 15 paid holidays. ASAS is an equal opportunity employer and candidates of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT ROLE: Please submit a resume and cover letter in PDF format via e-mail to: email@example.com. Please put “DOD” and your last name in the subject heading.
LEARN MORE ABOUT AFTER SCHOOL ALL-STARS: To learn more about ASAS, please visit our website: www.afterschoolallstars.org
Culture & Perks