WHO WE ARE: At ARISE we nurture, train, and discipline our school community to engage in a continuous practice of developing mind, heart, and body towards a vision where we actively rise up. Agency and self-determination drive our struggle to improve our own material and social conditions towards a more healthy, equitable, & just society.
The mission of ARISE High School is to empower ourselves with the skills, knowledge, and agency to become highly educated, humanizing, critically conscious, intellectual, and reflective leaders in our community. As a Linked Learning school in Public and Community Health, ARISE seeks to empower our students, staff and community members through our pathway.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS FOR TEACHERS The successful candidate will have a demonstrated proficiency in all areas of our ARISE Instructional Core: warm demander classroom management, literacy strategies, culturally relevant teaching, rigorous instruction, standards-based teaching, and project-based learning.
Additional qualifications for teachers include:
▪ Hold a valid California Teaching Credential in the subject area
▪ Be able to work from and build upon an established curriculum, scope, and sequence
▪ Experience with differentiation in curriculum and instruction to support emerging skill sets of students, especially English Language Learners
▪ Committed to further developing the skills and examining the ideologies associated with the ARISE Instructional Core criteria
▪ Growth mindset
▪ Commitment to equity and serving the students, families, and community of ARISE
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS FOR TEACHERS
▪ Experience in individual and collaborative curriculum development
▪ Experience with trauma informed classroom and restorative justice
▪ Two years of credentialed teaching experience in an urban setting
▪ Advanced degree in subject-matter content or education
▪ Familiarity working with Common Core standards
▪ Experience with assessments for and of learning ( standards based grading)
▪ Experience with gradual release direct instruction (i.e. “I do - We do - You do” or 5-part lesson plan and inquiry based instruction)
TEACHER JOB RESPONSIBILITIES & EXPECTATIONS:
▪ Teach five sections of a course/courses within your discipline
▪ Attend and participate fully in weekly Professional Development and weekly or bi-weekly coaching meetings with an instructional coach (all teachers at ARISE have a dedicated instructional coach).
▪ Participate in professional development opportunities to develop skills and expand scope of curricular and instructional knowledge and understanding (including school-wide professional development retreats, critical inquiry group participation, opportunities with school partners, and outside individual professional development)
▪ Provide regular feedback to students about their progress, including completing quarterly progress reports and updating the online grade book weekly
▪ Participate in weekly “Academic Familia” grade level meetings to problem solve student issues and build out collaborative, cross-curricular projects
▪ Develop project-based “Rigorous Summative Assessments” in alignment with our Graduate Profile
▪ Collaborate with teachers/peers and our Adelante Student Support team to provide a consistent academic support system for all students
▪ Participate in peer observations with other teachers to heighten the effectiveness and experience of our community of teachers as learners
▪ Commitment to aligning course content with our Public and Community Health Pathway
▪ Provide academic support outside of class to our students (e.g. tutoring, mentoring, homework assistance, including one afternoon each week assisting with required study hall hours) at least twice per week.
▪ Contribute to teaching a two-week beyond the classroom course during our Post Session, which runs for the final two weeks of the school year
▪ Attend and support additional beyond the classroom activities including Advisory retreats, College Tours, Days of Service, Student-led conferences, and Exhibition nights)
MATH TEACHER SPECIFIC QUALIFICATIONS
▪ Be able to teach Algebra 1, Geometry, Advanced Algebra, or PreCalculus
▪ Experience in using exit tickets and data driven processes to inform instruction
▪ Commitment to culturally responsive instruction and aligning course content with our Public and Community Health Pathway
RESPONSIBILITIES AS ADVISORS:
▪ Provide academic, socio-emotional, personal guidance, and support to a grade-level homogenous Advisory class of 15-22 students, including support towards fulfilling graduation requirements (e.g. Defenses, community programs, cultural immersion, etc.)
▪ Exemplify and reinforce the ARISE Vision, Mission, and Core Values in and beyond Advisory
▪ Collaborate with students, parents/guardians and other teachers to address the academic and social needs of advisees; provide consistent follow-up with/for students, parents/guardians and teachers in the role of Advisor
▪ Facilitate the maintenance of student portfolios
▪ Hold a focused independent reading time space 3x per week
▪ Coordinate bi-annual student-led conferences
▪ Conduct home visits to meet with advisees and their families
▪ Acts as the “first responder” if advisees have issues in other classrooms for which those teachers need support
TEACHER LEADERS: We at ARISE are excited to bring on experienced teacher leaders to help realize our ARISE Mission and Vision. We encourage teachers to participate in leadership roles in school development and are provided a stipend for doing so. Such duties include: operations, and/or administration, internship coordinator, technology coordinator, data coordinator, advisory coordinator, Academic Familia lead, etc.
EMPLOYMENT DETAILS AND SELECTION PROCESS: All teacher candidates are asked to submit the following via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
After an initial document and phone screening, potential candidates will be asked to do the following:
▪ Resume, lesson(s) plans, curriculum plans or unit plans, sample of student work (multiple levels recommended), letter of recommendation from parent and/or student, letter of recommendation from a colleague or supervisor
▪ Additional artifacts may include rubrics, classroom handouts, articles written
SALARY AND SCHEDULE
▪ Competitive, with health, sick, and pension benefits
▪ Stipends available for leadership responsibilities, advanced degrees, Spanish fluency
▪ Employment runs from August 1st - June 30th. On-site work is estimated to begin to the first week of August
ARISE High School opened its doors in 2006 with the mission to prepare students from low income families to be the first in their families to attend college. Inspired by Oakland’s rich activist history, ARISE strives to engage our school community in reinvesting their knowledge, wisdom, and resources back into our Oakland home. It is not enough for us to simply prepare students for college without also emphasizing the importance of their presence, work, and leadership here in East Oakland.
At ARISE we nurture, train, and discipline our school community to engage in a continuous practice of developing mind, heart, and body towards a vision where we actively rise up. With a focus on public health and community engagement - agency and self-determination drive our struggle to improve our own material and social conditions towards a more healthy, equitable, and just society.
Our program of study at ARISE immerses students in a challenging college-prep curriculum interfused with health themed topics that aligned with our Public and Community Health pathway. The curriculum emphasizes knowledge of self, critical consciousness, performance assessment and interdisciplinary collaboration. The curriculum is enacted in the context of a highly personalized and supportive environment, which provides wrap-around services through our socio-emotional counselors, college advisor, and advisory system. We are thrilled that 90% of our graduating seniors are accepted to a 4-year college! Please take an opportunity to learn more at www.arisehighschool.org
ARISE High School is looking for teachers who are committed to preparing historically underserved students of color to achieve our mission to empower ourselves with the skills, knowledge, and agency to become highly educated, humanizing, critically conscious, intellectual, and reflective leaders in our community.
ARISE High School, a small charter school in East Oakland, California focused on preparing students to find success in college and career, is growing and seeking dedicated teachers interested in joining an existing crew of dedicated educators.
11-50 team members
Culture & Perks