Job Title: Bartender
Department: Front of the House
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reporting to: Manager
The Bartender takes drink orders and mixes and serves drinks to guests, directly or through wait staff. They are responsible for providing an exceptional guest experience through friendly and attentive service.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactory. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Promptly greet guests in a friendly manner as they are seated;
- Present drink menus, make specific recommendations, and answer questions regarding beverages;
- Check ID of customers to ensure that they meet the legal requirements to purchase alcohol;
- Prepare drinks consistent with the company’s standard drink recipes and create new drink recipes;
- Serve wine, mixed drinks, and bottled or draft beer;
- Suggests appetizers, wine specials and specialty drinks, etc.;
- Mix ingredients, such as liquor, soda, water, sugar, and bitters, to prepare cocktails and other drinks;
- Knows bar menu, wine list and pricing.
- Record drink orders accurately and immediately into the register system;
- Limit problems and liability related to customers' excessive drinking by taking steps such as persuading customers to stop drinking, or ordering taxis or other transportation for intoxicated patrons;
- Clean and sterilize glasses, utensils, bar equipment, bar surface, and work areas;
- Maintain cleanliness in all areas of the bar;
- Serve snacks/appetizers to customers seated at the bar;
- Order/requisition liquors and supplies and restock the bar area as necessary;
- Slice and pit fruit for garnishing drinks;
- Arrange bottles and glasses to make attractive displays;
- Collect payment, process credit card charges and make change as necessary;
- Balance cash receipts;
- Communicates immediately with management regarding any customer problem or complaint;
- Pays attention to customer and employee safety by helping to eliminate unsafe or hazardous conditions as they occur;
- Constant (more than 2/3 of the time) standing, walking, grasping, handling, hearing and seeing;
- Frequent (1/3 to 2/3 of the time) carrying, balancing, bending, stooping, reaching, back and wrist rotation and talking;
- Occasional (up to 1/3 of the time) lifting (up to 50 lbs.), pushing, pulling, climbing, kneeling, crouching, stooping, fingering, feeling and operating controls;
- Must be able to remain in a standing position up to 8 hours per day;
- Ability to work up to 40 hours per week, including overtime if needed; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Measurements of Success:
- Maintain an exceptional record of punctuality and attendance;
- Ensure customer satisfaction 100% of the time; and
- Consistently perform all duties in a responsible and efficient manner.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. In addition, the individual must be punctual, have a good attendance record, and have reliable means of transportation to work.
- Must be at least 18 years of age;
- Available to work weekends and holidays;
- Food Handler Card certification preferred, otherwise to be obtained within 30 days from date of hire;
- Outgoing and pleasant personality and the desire to serve people;
- Willingness to follow directions and learn;
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate and understand the predominant language(s) of the bar’s team;
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 8 hours);
- Be able to work with the demands in a fast-paced setting;
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop, and frequently lift up to 50 pounds;
- Be able to operate basic bar equipment, including but not limited to beer taps, cash register, dishwasher, etc.;
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights, holidays and/or weekends;
- Must have the stamina to work 40 hours per week;
- Maintain a well-groomed appearance;
- Ability to set priorities and multitask;
- Motivated and flexible;
- Maintain a positive, friendly attitude no matter your emotional state; and
- Customer-focused attitude.
Education and Experience:
- High School degree or equivalent;
- 1 year of previous work experience as a bartender or food server; and
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.