JOB TITLE: Sous Chef
DEPARTMENT: Back of the House
FLSA Status: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Chef
Direct the preparation, seasoning, and cooking of all of Fog Harbor’s food. Maintain proper inventory levels by ordering supplies; keep accurate records and accounts. Supervise and participate in the cooking, baking and preparation of foods. Ensure that all food is prepared according to Fog Harbor’s standards.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactory. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Supervises and assists with food preparation and production;
- Responsible for ordering food and kitchen supplies;
- Ensures that kitchen area is clean and sanitary according to company standards and state regulated health code;
- Ensures that company uniform standards are maintained in the kitchen;
- Develops new menu items and recipes;
- Responsible for par levels of all food products;
- Trains, supervises, motivates and schedules kitchen staff;
- Ensures proper sanitation and food-handling procedures;
- Responsible for food quality and plate presentation;
- Responsible for achieving budgeted goals for food, labor and other controllable costs;
- Reviews employees' performance at least twice a year;
- Ensures that service times for food are consistently met;
- Ensures compliance with company food and plate specifications;
- Communicates immediately with management regarding any customer problem or complaint;
- Pays attention to customer and employee safety by helping to eliminate unsafe or hazardous conditions as they occur;
- Cooperates with management by performing any other duties when asked to do so;
- Completes paperwork accurately and on time;
- Logs vendor invoices on a daily basis;
- Constant (more than 2/3 of the time) standing, handling, fingering, feeling, hearing and seeing;
- Frequent (1/3 to 2/3 of the time) walking, lifting (up to 35 lbs.), carrying, reaching, back and wrist rotation and talking;
- Occasional (up to 1/3 of the time) sitting, pushing, pulling, climbing, balancing, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching and operating controls;
- Frequent reading, writing and reasoning;
- Occasional basic math calculations; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Measurements of Success:
- Ensure customer satisfaction 100% of the time through the creation and presentation of great food that consistently meets or exceeds restaurant standards;
- Ensure all portioning, plating, and preparation is completed consistently including the size of food items that have been cut;
- Ensure that all kitchen staff duties are performed in accordance to company standards;
- Keep wasted food under 1%;
- Perform managerial duties more than 51% of the time;
- Maintain an exceptional personal record of punctuality and attendance;
- Satisfy all assigned budget requirements; and
- Consistently perform all duties in a responsible and efficient manner.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. In addition, the individual must be punctual, have a good attendance record, and have reliable means of transportation to work.
- Must be at least 21 years of age;
- Available to work weekends and holidays;
- Food Handler Card certification prefered, otherwise to be obtained within 30 days from date of hire;
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate and understand the predominant language(s) of the guests and restaurant’s team;
- Maintain a well-groomed appearance;
- Ability to set priorities and multitask;
- One year of experience with SIMCO as a cook;
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently;
- Willingness to follow directions and learn;
- Self-starter, motivated & flexible; and
- Maintain a positive, friendly attitude no matter your emotional state.
Education and Experience:
- High School degree or equivalent;
- Extensive knowledge of food, beverage, and service industry;
- Culinary Academy training/certification or equivalent preferred; and
- Three years or more related experience and/or training as a Chef or Sous Chef.