Los Rios Community College District
Confidential Principal Internal Auditor (Extended)
Job Posting Number: C00860P
Salary: $7,351.60 per month
Closing Date: 05/13/2019
Complete job description and application available online
Under the direction of the Chancellor and in conjunction with the Vice Chancellor of Finance and Administration, conduct examination of the district’s fiscal and operational records, processes, systems, procedures, and internal control including compliance reviews of district grants and special programs; perform economy and efficiency audits and special analyses; assists in the development of procedures and processes to ensure security of District’s computer systems and data prepare audit reports and recommend appropriate improvements to financial systems and operational processes.
This position is assigned to the Business Services department.
Los Rios Community College District offers competitive salaries and a very comprehensive employee benefits package to include medical insurance, CalPERS retirement, and opportunities for additional insurance and financial investments.
Full-time, twelve-month employees receive 17 days of annual paid holidays, 21 days’ vacation yearly and 8 hours of sick leave per month. Los Rios also offers extensive professional development opportunities with the district and financial support and/or paid time off to complete external academic studies.
● Establishes and maintains an internal audit plan and related audit programs for the evaluation of district internal controls.
● Conducts systematic audits to evaluate the reliability and effectiveness of established internal control designed to safeguard district resources and review for conformity with established district procedures, policies and regulations.
● Assesses the economy and efficiency of operations.
● Recommends improvements of district internal controls and processes and procedures to strengthen the reliability and integrity of financial information and increase efficiencies.
● Upon request, prepares confidential analyses of collective bargaining proposals.
● Monitors the integrity, accuracy, effectiveness and efficiency of the administrative computing systems, including the reporting needs and requirements of users.
● Recommends improvements to the administrative computing system following standard district procedures.
● Assists in the evaluation of district data processing software/application during evaluation or installation process.
● Serve as a member of the project team for new system implementation to ensure adequate controls are established and appropriate audit trails exist.
● Assists in the development and maintenance of data requirements of both mainframe and microcomputer applications in support of collective bargaining planning and implementation.
● Reviews audit findings with appropriate staff and assist in training staff in the establishment of improved internal controls and adherence to proper procedures.
● Performs follow-up procedures to evaluate satisfactory resolution of the findings.
● Conducts unannounced audits in areas where cash and other assets require specific safeguards and appropriate internal controls.
● Conducts special audits at the request of administration or the governing board.
● Projects may be conducted at any district location and concern any district function, as directed.
● Assists external financial auditors in their performance of the annual financial audit of the district.
● Prepares written reports at the conclusion of each project for submission to the Chancellor, Vice Chancellor of Finance and Administration, other appropriate college/district staff, and as appropriate, to the governing board.
EXPERIENCE: Four years of progressively responsible experience as an auditor with an internal audit unit/department or with a commercial auditing firm with direct experience in planning, organizing, and independently performing audit tasks for financial audits, performance or operational audits and internal control reviews.
EDUCATION: A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in accounting, finance, business or related field. A master’s degree in accounting or business administration or a CPA license may be substituted for two years of required experience.
Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
(One year of experience is equal to 12 months of experience at a maximum of 40 hours per week. Applicable part-time experience will be converted to the full-time equivalent for purposes of meeting the experience requirement. Education Requirement: 15 units are equal to six months of education; 30 units are equal to one year of education.)
The Los Rios Community College District is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, political affiliation or belief, or marital status.
Welcome to the Los Rios Community College District, one of the nation's most respected learning institutions and the second-largest community college district in California. We are a two-year public college district that serves the greater Sacramento region.
Los Rios includes: American River, Cosumnes River, Folsom Lake and Sacramento City colleges; major education and outreach centers in Davis, Elk Grove, Natomas, Placerville, Rancho Cordova and West Sacramento; and specialized workforce and economic development programs for business, government and organizations throughout the region. Our colleges offer AA/AS degrees, certificates and transfer education opportunities - students complete freshman and sophomore years and transfer to a four-year college or university - in more than 70 career fields.