Tree Frog Treks is seeking naturalists to join our summer camp team!
Tree Frog Treks is a mobile science education company based in San Francisco. We offer a variety of school and community programs, camps, and classes designed to make science fun, connect kids with nature, and exercise imaginations of all ages. We endeavor to help children develop better retention skills, an enthusiasm for learning and a greater appreciation of the wonderful world around us. We use contact with live reptiles and amphibians to excite students about science and draw them into a fun, hands-on curriculum.
Summary of Role:
This is a Summer Camp Naturalist position for Tree Frog Treks Wild Science Summer Camp. We have available positions working at our Golden Gate Park, Precita Park, and McLaren Park locations.
Camp Naturalists will lead groups of 15-20 campers in activities in and around the parks, and on field trips throughout the Bay Area. Each group of campers will have two naturalists creating approximately a 1:8 teacher to camper ratio. At summer camp, we spend all day outdoors, exploring the natural spaces of San Francisco. Throughout the summer, we will cycle through 5 different curriculum themes that aim to engage elementary school kids with different aspects of science in a fun, hands-on way. Naturalists will have freedom within the curriculum to inspire and guide campers into discovery in nature's classroom. Summer Camp runs from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday - Friday.
• Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university, and a background in science, art, or environmental education.
• Teaching experience, preferably in an outdoor setting.
• Must pass TB test and fingerprint clearance through Department of Justice.
• Must be able to maintain constant positive attitude and enthusiasm.
• Implement curricula and activities to meet Tree Frog Treks standards.
• Handle/use scientific supplies and materials in a responsible manner.
• Bring creativity and innovative thinking to the program while also adhering to the structured program model.
• Must be willing to handle live reptiles and amphibians in a respectful and safe manner.
• Interest in nature, passion for working with youth, and desire to promote hands-on, experiential learning is a must!
• Communicate effectively with students, families, and colleagues.
• Participate in scheduled camp and first aid training.
• Be responsible for adhering to camp schedule and arriving on time to assigned events.
• Behave in a professional manner and adhere to Tree Frog Treks policies and procedures.
Start Date: Camp season runs Monday - Friday from June 5th - August 16th, with a week off during 4th of July week.
Salary: $855 per week
Culture & Perks