In collaboration with Up2Us Sports, Chicago Run seeks an Up2Us Coach to work alongside the Chicago Run staff to oversee the ongoing growth and development of its youth running programs in the Chicago area. This is a part-time AmeriCorps service position ending on December 31, 2019. Within that time of service, the member will perform 20-30 hours per week with a portion of the hours paid at an hourly rate of $15/hour and a portion paid through a serve Illinois stipend. At the completion of the year, the member will receive an education award of $2,960, forbearance of educational loans, health care options, and training and support. At Chicago Run, he/she has the primary responsibility to work with the school/site staff and students regarding daily program operations and maintain routine communication with participating schools and sites. This position will be integral to the success of Chicago Run programming.
Founded in 2007, Chicago Run is a nonprofit organization that implements and supports running programs for children and youth across the city of Chicago. The organization’s mission is to promote the health and wellness of Chicago children through innovative, engaging, and sustainable youth running programs. The vision of Chicago Run is to enhance the health and well-being of every child in Chicago through running. Chicago Run currently serves over 18,000 students in 57 schools and sites in 36 diverse communities throughout Chicago. Approximately 80% of Chicago Run participants are from low-income households with limited opportunities for physical activity and play. Chicago Run maintains four youth running programs: Little Strides, Chicago Runners, Running Mates, and LACE Up. The Up2Us Coach’s primary responsibilities will be centered around the Chicago Runners and Running Mates programs.
The Chicago Runners program is designed to instill the daily habit of physical activity during the school day for elementary school students. Each student runs, jogs or participates in moderate to vigorous physical activity for a minimum of 10-15 minutes a day, three to five times a week. Students track their mileage goal and earn incentives as they achieve certain milestones on the virtual marathon website, myCHICAGORUN.org. The website provides a digital learning medium for students and teachers to set goals, monitor progress, virtually run through Chicago while learning about historical landmarks and nutrition facts, and build community pride and awareness.
The Running Mates program is designed to prepare middle school and high school students to run in a local 5k race. The program teaches the participants about teamwork, commitment, and perseverance utilizing a training program that incorporates running workouts, nutrition information, core exercises and team-building activities that promote a deeper understanding of community and diversity. This program is unique because it trains students from different schools together, thereby, breaking down racial and cultural stereotypes and forging friendships that might not otherwise be formed due to the geographic and cultural barriers that exist between neighborhoods. The program meets three times a week after or before school, utilizing coaches to manage the program and provide a positive, active and healthy environment! Chicago Run seeks an energetic and enthusiastic person to work alongside Program Staff in establishing and maintaining high quality Chicago Run programming at sites throughout the city.
The Up2Us Coach is responsible for the day-to-day Chicago Runners program at 2-6 school sites and 1-3 Running Mates sites. In addition, the Coach will:
Coordinate School Relationships
· Lead running and physical activity sessions with elementary school students in the Chicago Runners program during the school day;
· Lead or co-lead after-school running practices with Running Mates team(s); · Assist with Chicago Run Alumni Team, LACE Up!;
· Attend all Chicago Run related events in which student-athletes participate;
· Conduct weekly site visits to participating Chicago Run schools/sites;
· Provide documentation of weekly site visits at each school and offer recommendations based on observations to teachers and students;
· Conduct physical activity-related trainings for parents, teachers and other site staff to meet the unique needs of each school/site
· Maintain regular communication with school Site Coordinators, Principals, and other staff via email, phone, and in person;
· Help identify and troubleshoot any issues with program delivery;
· Provide weekly reports regarding status of programs and relationships with schools/sites;
· Aid in the development and enhancement of the over-all health and wellness environment at schools/sites and implement innovative physical activity and nutrition-based projects;
· Make exercise FUN for students and staff!
Coordinate Program Logistics
· Help teachers and students with uploading school rosters, updating school information, and monitoring progress of schools and classes;
· Oversee Chicago Run Virtual Marathon Database as part of the Chicago Runners program with the students’ marathon routes and mileage;
· Ensure delivery of incentives to schools (t-shirts, lanyards, water bottles, and awards); informs students about the importance of the incentives and goal-setting.
Provide Event Support
· Assist with the organization of school kick-off events; · Provide support and coordinate logistics for Fun Run celebratory events with students and teachers;
· Facilitate program trainings for school personnel and students;
· Provide support at all Running Mates team-building events and races throughout the season.
Additionally, the AmeriCorps Up2Us Coach will:
· Encourage participants to gain and develop life skills, knowledge, and techniques through sport, using lessons learned at Up2Us Sports’ best in class training events;
· Perform data collection activities such as directed by your Up2Us Sports Program Manager;
· Act as a role model, gaining the respect and trust of the community and youth served.
· Completion of the minimum required hours of service (900) and training by the last day of coach contract (end of 2019);
· Attendance at the Up2Us Coach orientation;
· Completion of bi-weekly timesheets;
· Attendance at a day of service;
· Attend/participate in Up2Us Sports trainings, meetings, and special initiatives;
· Attend Coach Training Institute (2/23-2/26).
Experience and Qualifications
An ideal candidate will be 18 years of age or older, a US citizen legally allowed to work in the US, and have a minimum 3 years experience playing or coaching a sport. Candidates must have, or be working toward a High School diploma, GED, or its equivalent. The candidate should have familiarity and interest in working with youth programs and great enthusiasm for working in the Chicago Public Schools. He/she should possess a strong interest in physical fitness and a healthy well-being. The Up2Us Coach will be comfortable working with diverse populations. He/she should have exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written, should be a self-starter, and be able to work independently while also being a team player and helpful and available to the small Chicago Run staff at all times. He/she must have a car and be willing to travel to schools throughout the city as part of his/her daily schedule. The candidate must possess the ability to lift up to 25 lbs. The candidate is available to work a flexible schedule including occasional evenings and weekends and dedicates a year of part-time service for this position. Every candidate will have to undergo an FBI background check. Results will determine a candidate’s ability to serve. Bilingual in Spanish language is preferable.
Restrictions on Eligibility for Benefits If a candidate has participated in:
· Two full-time service terms or their equivalent, the candidate will be ineligible for a third Education Award or other in-service and after-service benefits.
· Four AmeriCorps National Direct or State service terms, regardless of whether those terms were served on a full or part-time basis, the candidate is ineligible for benefits.
Additionally, a candidate cannot serve if:
· Failed to disclose to Up2Us Coach any history of having been released for compelling personal circumstances or for cause from another AmeriCorps program, this will render him/her ineligible to receive the Education Award and may render the Coach ineligible for service with the Program.
· Released for cause from another AmeriCorps program but was released having performed satisfactorily, the candidate may still be eligible for participation in the Program. However, this eligibility does not guarantee selection or placement.
Chicago Run is a young and modern non-profit that serves thousands of youth annually. All staff work together to accomplish our goals of making an impact on young people all across the city of Chicago.
1-10 team members
Culture & Perks