Larkin Street provides youth between the ages of 12 and 24 with the help they need to rebuild their lives. Each year, more than 3,000 youth walk through our doors seeking help. We give them a place where they can feel safe; rebuild their sense of self-respect, trust, and hope; learn school, life and job skills; and find the confidence to build a future.
We raise the bar by redefining success from securing independent housing to achieving a permanent pathway out of poverty. We have established bold goals for the youth in our services:
• Living-wage employment
• Two years of post-secondary education
• Safe and stable housing
• Physical and emotional well-being
POSITION TITLE: HR Benefits/HRMS Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Employee Relations Manager
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY: Support the Human Resources department providing primary responsibility of benefits and employee records. Assist employees with full cycle of benefits, maintain employee database records, supplement payroll, manage all insurance billings and maintain employee files.
EXEMPT STATUS: Non Exempt
UNION STATUS: Non Union
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Administer Larkin Street benefit programs, such as group life insurance, life, medical and dental, accident and disability, insurance, pensions; and health maintenance organizations
- Coordinate HR procedures, including benefits orientations, during onboarding to initiate Larkin Street benefits
- Provide support to employees on claims processing, status changes and coverage inquiries. Process and maintain all status reports and pay changes, both on computer and paper system.
- Process timely and accurate submission of COBRA information to 3rd party vendor.
- Update and maintain employee files regarding the tracking of raises and assist Payroll with benefit deductions or additions in Larkin Street payroll systems.
- Handle and coordinate all employee incentive programs.
- Prepare and maintain regular employee listings and absentee reports.
- Implement new benefit programs, arrange and conduct employee information presentations and enrollments.
- Verify the calculation of the monthly premium statements for all group insurance policies and maintain statistical date relative to premiums, claims and costs. Resolve administrative problems with the carrier representatives.
- Assist the Human Resources Director in obtaining statistics and information in renewal process of any Health, Life and Retirement plans that benefit Larkin Street.
- Process, verify, and maintain personnel related documentation, including staffing, recruitment, training, grievances, performance evaluations, classifications, and employee leaves of absence.
- Record data for each employee, including such information as addresses, weekly earnings, absences, amount of sales or production, supervisory reports on performance, and dates of and reasons for terminations.
- Request information from law enforcement officials, previous employers, and other references to determine applicants' employment acceptability.
- Provide assistance in administering employee leaves and worker's compensation plans
- Must be able to exhibit a high level of confidentiality.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain professional standards of performance, demeanor and appearance at all times.
- Perform tasks and responsibilities in a complete and timely manner, complying with agency policies and standards and confirming to the requirements of the position.
- Maintain a creative, teambuilding, cooperative approach to job performance and seek to bring a constructive, problem solving orientation to all tasks.
- Exercise discretion and professional judgment at all times.
- Ability to work with a diverse staff and excel in a multi-cultural environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL & LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Requires ability to lift, transfer, push/pull, maneuver, and reposition 25 lbs.
- Ability to reach, bend and walk.
- Finger manipulation.
- Ability to comprehend complex materials.
- Ability to speak and write English clearly and accurately.
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field of study preferred.
BACKGROUND & EXPERIENCE:
- 2-4 Years in HR Coordinator or HR Assistant role, with primary responsibility for benefits or related benefits administration or equivalent experience.
- Working knowledge of FMLA laws for California, STD, Child Support, benefits enrollment, Americans with Disabilities and other appropriate federal and state laws preferred.
- Experience in Word, Excel, payroll and HRIS systems.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Experience communicating with people at all levels within an organization.
- Ability to consistently meet daily, weekly and monthly deadlines.
Larkin Street reserves the right to revise job descriptions or work hours as required.
Larkin Street is an Equal Opportunity Employer