PRC’s mission is to help people affected by HIV/AIDS, substance use, or mental health issues better realize opportunities by providing integrated legal, social, and health services that address the broad range of social risk factors that impact wellness and limit potential.
Job Title: Staff Attorney – Disability Advocacy
The Staff Attorney provides legal representation to low-income individuals living with HIV and /or mental health issues to secure disability income and health insurance benefits. Additional populations served include LGBTQ, homeless and/or at risk of homelessness, non-English speaking, and other at-risk communities.
Position Responsibilities Include:
- Assessment: Performs individual assessment of needs related to income, benefits and health insurance. Helps identify and assist in breaking barriers to benefit entitlements, including accessing medical care, treatments and psychiatric and/or psychological evaluations. Works with clients within a Harm Reduction approach.
- Benefits Advocacy: Provides direct legal assistance and representation to clients. Helps clients apply for public disability benefits such as SSI, SSDI, and CAPI as well as address other health insurance and related issues including Medicare and Medi-Cal. Follows claims throughout the process, negotiating with SSA and disability analysts as needed. Develops/obtains supporting medical evidence. Files appeals and appropriate paperwork.
- Hearings: Prepares cases for appeal and appears before Administrative Law Judges or other tribunals. Files documents for appeals process. Develops/obtains supporting medical evidence. Performs legal research. Writes pre- and post-hearing legal briefs. Prepares clients for testimony. Prepares questions for cross-examination of expert witnesses. Appeals unfavorable decisions to Appeals Council or other appellate bodies.
- File Management: Creates and maintains confidential client files detailing documents and laws/policies reviewed, correspondence prepared on behalf of the client, and case progress. Updates and maintains client records in case management and billing system.
- Training: Provides consumer and provider trainings/outreach as requested.
- Special Projects: Assists with special projects as assigned.
- Active member of the California State Bar.
- Demonstrated interest in public interest advocacy with prior SSI/SSDI experience preferred.
- Ability to maintain case management databases and systems with minimal supervision.
- Ability to be sensitive to and work well with low-income individuals, people with psychiatric disabilities, people living with HIV/AIDS, people of color, active drug users, people with a history of homelessness or incarceration, and people in the LGBTQ community.
- Familiarity with mental health issues, HIV/AIDS, homelessness issues, and state and federal disability-related benefits programs (SSI, SSDI, OA-HIPP, ADAP, Covered California, Medi-Cal, Medicare, etc.) preferred.
- Knowledge of Harm Reduction theory and practice as applied to legal services preferred.
- Bilingual and bicultural (Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, Arabic, Vietnamese or Russian) highly desirable.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a full-time exempt position. PRC offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits program including medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their eligible spouse/children, as well as employer matching contributions to 403(b) plan, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, short/long-term disability, paid bar dues, paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
Please submit required cover letter and resume to: PRC, Attn. Chuan Teng, 785 Market Street, 10th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103; or email HumanResources@prcsf.org. Please include Job Code: “LWST18” in the subject line of your email, when applying.
People living with HIV/AIDS or other disabilities, people of color and people who are bilingual/bicultural are strongly encouraged to apply.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.