ABOUT THE JCC EAST BAY
The JCC East Bay creates healthy communities inspired by Jewish values, culture, and tradition. We provide programs and gathering spaces throughout the East Bay to advance, nurture, and evolve Jewish communal life and contribute to the vitality of the broader community. Through intergenerational activities in Oakland, Berkeley, and beyond, we connect people with each other, foster learning and inspiration, provide opportunities for civic engagement, and explore contemporary Jewish life. The Center’s core programs include provocative cultural events featuring emerging and established artists and thinkers; award-winning early childhood education and parenting support; lifelong learning and older adult services; youth activities including four afterschool programs and summer camp; as well as inclusive Jewish holiday celebrations for all ages. The JCC proudly serves and reflects the diverse residents of the East Bay. The JCC is located in the Bay Area, home to the fourth largest Jewish community in the United States. The East Bay includes more than 30% of that community and migration patterns show this population increasing. The JCC East Bay’s expansion will meet the growing needs of this dynamic community.
The Payroll, Benefits and Human Resources Coordinator is the primary administrator for all payroll and human resources systems, serving approximately 85 full and part-time employees.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Organization’s primary administrator in Paycom (JCC East Bay payroll & benefits administration system) including user set up, overall system management, main point of contact with Paycom and training and ongoing coaching of all staff
- Prepares bi-weekly payroll for approximately 85 employees
- Distributes paychecks
- Provide information to employees regarding benefit accruals and other paycheck related matters; assist in researching and communicating to resolve employee payroll-related issues
- Updates and maintains reports for managers that track hours worked by department
- Generate and distribute annual W-2s
- File periodic governmental reports
- Manages the delivery, enrollment, and implementation of all benefit and employee leave/disability programs
- Leads the annual benefits Open Enrollment process
- Helps educate employees about available benefits and how to enroll through Paycom
- Prepare information for employees including customized site-specific new hire and benefit folders, benefits info, termination info and other employee policy related communication pieces
- Helps resolve employee benefits issues and problems
- Oversees benefits processing: communicate regularly and in a timely manner with carriers regarding new hires, terminations, and changes in coverage
- Responsible for proper administration of COBRA
- Consults with and advise managers and supervisors on employee relations issues.
- Works with leadership to manage and resolve employee relations concerns
- Advises and assists managers in hiring, promotions, and disciplinary processes
- Monitors compliance with all federal, state, and local employment laws and advises management accordingly
- Maintains file of job descriptions and classifications for all positions
- Assists in the employee recruitment process: post jobs and job announcements, assist with review of applications; schedule interviews; check references
- Support managers in terminations (voluntary, involuntary, seasonal), conducting exit interviews
- First contact for employees with HR concerns or issues.
- Creates and maintains HR Personnel files and records: set up new hire files, medical files, I-9 files, and terminated employee files; audit for completion of forms, follow-up with staff on missing information
- Conducts HR file audits on a regular schedule to check for timely information in personnel folders, termination folders, and with benefits records. Collects missing employee information from staff
- Process status changes from supervisors and processes any related payroll and benefit adjustments. Initiates status changes when employees hit anniversaries and dates requiring a change in pay rate
- Prepares, maintains, and updates the employee handbook and policy and procedure documents to keep pace with current trends and applicable laws
- Coo-ordinates overall policies with negotiated Collective Bargaining Agreement that covers some employees.
- Manages company and employee compliance with HR and health and safety regulations;
- First contact for EDD and other legal service issues effecting payroll and benefits including, for example, unemployment claims and wage garnishments.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Minimum of 3 years payroll, benefits and Human Resources experience
- Associate Degree in Accounting or Finance (or equivalent job experience); a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting is preferred.
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills utilizing strong verbal and written communication
- Experience and/or knowledge of all financial functions preferred
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects with specific timelines
- Versatility, flexibility, and an ability to shift and manage priorities
- Strong computer aptitude, including expertise in Microsoft Excel and knowledge of, or ability to learn, Paycom. Knowledge of QuickBooks is an asset.
- Strong analytical skills with particular attention to detail and accuracy
- Experience with other software systems, especially payroll systems; Paycom experience a plus.
- Familiarity with, and interest in employment law, employment policies and procedures
- Highly discrete; keeps work confidential at all times.
- Nonprofit experience preferred Hiring Process
- If you are an interested candidate, please describe in a cover letter, why you are uniquely qualified for this position and attach a resume. Please note the specific job title in your subject line of your email.
- Please note: Prior to confirming your employment, you will be required to pass a fingerprint Live Scan and provide recent proof of a negative TB test.
Send cover letter and resume as attachments to: Isabelb@jcceastbay.org PLEASE NO CALLS.
- The JCC East Bay is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. JCC East Bay policy prohibits unlawful discrimination in accordance with federal, state, and local laws. The JCC East Bay complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act and is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require particular accommodations during the application and interview process, please inform us of your needs so that we can provide accordingly.