The Chef/teacher will be responsible for all aspects of snack cooking and preparation. The JCC Afterschool-Berkeley Chef/teacher reports to the Director of the JCC Afterschool- Berkeley program, and duties are as follows:
Must be able to work from 10AM to 6PM Monday through Friday.
I. Afterschool-Berkeley and Club J
A. Day to Day
• Daily prep of two nutritious snacks
• One wholesome cooked snack
• One fresh fruit or vegetable snack
• Daily prep and facilitation of snack service and cleanliness during snack time
• Being mindful and aware of all program children food allergies and providing a
backup snack if necessary
• Communicate with facilities manager when snack supplies are needed (i.e. bowls, cups, gloves)
• Maintaining general conditions of kitchen and snack space
B. Snack Program Maintenance
• Plan weekly menu of kid-friendly snacks for up to 200 students
• Weekly Monday grocery shopping trips, budgeting, and kitchen organization, shopping for any cooking utensils you will need.
• Plan and implement at least one cooking/food education class
II. Agency Responsibilities
A. JCC Community Events
• Participate in and attend some events
• Strong experience/background in large group cooking. Catering, restaurant kitchen, or school cafeteria experience are all desired.
• Must have experience working with children grades K-5 and be able to plan appropriate activities for different age groups.
• Possess excellent organizational skills
• Must be at least 18 years old with a high school diploma. Some college classes preferred but not required
•Ability to provide creative menu that changes bi weekly
•Budget experience for large food purchases Able to create healthy, kid friendly, and environmentally conscious food choices
The JCC of the East Bay provides a comfortable and warm gathering place for Jews wishing to affirm their cultural and ethnic origins. Our members and visitors represent all facets of the Jewish community and many are unaffiliated with other Jewish organizations or synagogues. All programs emphasize and celebrate Jewish values and culture, and are open to everyone. Together, with an active Board of Directors, our dedicated staff, and our strong and active volunteer teams work together to build a strong community.