Under the direct supervision of the Janitorial Manager, the Janitor performs all necessary janitorial duties as required. The Janitor performs these duties at one or more designated areas. Upholds the mission and values established the East Bay Zoological Society (the "Zoo") and adheres to policies and procedures as set forth by the Zoo.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- General office maintenance, including, but not limited to: trash removal; dusting; cleaning and re-stocking supplies in restrooms, break-rooms; sweeping and mopping floors; vacuuming; window washing; buffing floors; stripping and waxing floors; carpet cleaning.
- Utility work as directed by supervisor including, but not limited to moving furniture, assisting in loading, unloading and distribution of supplies, servicing of lobbies and high public use areas, servicing complaints and performing special cleaning.
- Ensure daily cleaning assignments are completed and that routine checks are conducted/completed to maintain cleanliness throughout Zoo.
- Monitor and help maintain supplies and equipment inventory as directed; keep janitor closets clean and orderly.
- Complete and submit accurate time/log sheets; work adjusted schedules and/or overtime as required.
- Maintain a safe working environment and report any unsafe conditions to supervisor. Report accidents, and any out-of-order equipment in the buildings (e.g., leaking or broken fixtures) to supervisor and/or Maintenance Dept.
- Read and follow label instructions on chemicals/cleaning materials, follow proper operating instructions for powered equipment, and wear required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Operate powered equipment typically used in janitorial operations; performing simple preventive maintenance on equipment as needed or directed.
- Drive Zoo carts (and other Zoo vehicles as directed).
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
- Demonstrates superior customer service with both internal (i.e. co-workers) and external (vendors, park visitors, contractors, etc) guests
- Demonstrates knowledge of, and supports, the East Bay Zoological Society's mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and codes of behavior
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to operate powered equipment normally found in janitorial operations
- Ability to organize work, prioritize and follow schedules and instructions.
- Ability to work around and positively interact with the public.
- Ability to work effectively with little or no direct supervision, and alternately as a member of a team.
- Active CA Driver's License with clear DMV record (ability to obtain authorization to drive from Zoo's insurance carrier).
- Ability to lift and carry objects weighing 50 lbs or more.
- Able to bend and twist, stand, kneel, sit, climb, walk, bend, stoop, speak and hear regularly and for long periods of time (8 hours or more)
MINIMUM EDUCATION LEVEL:
- High school diploma or GED (or greater), due to the need to read and interpret complex instructions and manuals.
- At least one years of formal janitorial experience.
- Knowledge of total hard floor care, carpet care and general office maintenance preferred
- Must be 18 years or older.