Love working with kids and passionate about youth empowerment? Looking for an incredible career experience managing your own hub of innovation education?
Galileo is looking for program visionaries to direct current or new Camp Galileo and Galileo Summer Quest sites for the 2019 season. Summer Program Directors (internally referred to as “Camp Directors”) are outstanding educational leaders who assume overall leadership of a summer day camp location, including staff hiring and management and day-to-day operations. Hear directly from past and current Camp Directors.
- You're inspired by innovation education, youth empowerment, and creating safe welcoming spaces
- You're an experienced, creative, fun-loving educator.
- You're a communicative, trustworthy leader.
- You’re an organized, problem-solving manager.
- You’re ready to grow.
Experience & Education
- College graduate or equivalent work experience
- Experience working with K-8th grade children
- Demonstrated leadership experience (staff hiring and management experience a plus)
- Ability to work part-time in spring, and full-time in summer
Camp Director Responsibilities
Most Camp Directors have full-time jobs during the school year, and commit 10-15 hours each week to their Camp Director role pre-camp, with 3-4 additional weekends of training. As summer rolls around, Directors work 55-65 hours each week during camp (and most camps run 5-8 weeks). For more details on this unique schedule, review the Camp Director yearly timeline, and hear directly from past and current Camp Directors.
- You’ll train to brilliantly build, lead, and maintain your camp community. From mastering operations to nurturing and retaining staff to creating camp flavor and traditions, you’ll work to identify and execute on your program vision, ensuring our campers have their most magical summers ever.
- You’ll hire, train, collaborate with and develop a team of 15-40 summer staff.
- You’ll be a supportive manager with high expectations. You’ll engage with and actively evaluate potential — both strengths and areas of growth — and will thoughtfully push your team to greatness in ways that have an astounding ripple effect.
- You’ll create and build partnerships like a boss. As the face of Galileo in the community you serve, you’ll work closely with your manager on navigating grassroots marketing efforts, local staff recruiting, your host school relationship, and consistently delivering exceptional service to our camper families.
- Lasting positive impact. As a Galileo Camp Director, you’ll develop meaningful, multi-year relationships with staff members, campers and families. You’ll inspire the spark of camp, helping kids see themselves as true changemakers.
- Leadership training & professional development. You’ll receive unique and exceptional training including weekend management training retreats, weekly individual coaching throughout the camp season, and access to Galileo’s network of prominent educational leaders. Camp Directors are given the tools, framework, community, and support to take ownership of and implement a fully-developed program.
- Opportunity. As Galileo grows, we’re often looking for Area Directors, curriculum creators, and other full-time staff. Successful Camp Directors are likely candidates for such opportunities. Galileo also has an alumni network which connects people with outstanding opportunities outside of Galileo.
- Financial reward. A first year Camp Director in California typically earns $12,000-$14,000, with up to 20-40% annual increases in subsequent years. Galileo is unusual in that Camp Directors participate in—and benefit from—the financial success of their camps.
- Free camp. For team members with kids, we offer significant discounts on camp programs.