OverviewThough 9 in 10 Latino young adults say a college degree is important for success in life, fewer than 15% age 25 or older hold a bachelor’s degree. Voices College-Bound Language Academies exists to change that.Voices is a public charter school network with a mission to prepare all students for the challenges of higher education through the context of an academically rigorous dual-language program. Every student, regardless of home language, graduates bilingual and biliterate in English and Spanish. As we expand to serve more traditionally underserved students, Voices seeks additional team members who share a commitment to its mission and believe joyful learning and world-class academic preparation are not mutually exclusive.Role SummaryVoices Academies’ Associate Teacher will be an inspiring educator with an entrepreneurial spirit. Reporting to the principal, the ideal candidate will not only be innovative, but also have an unwavering commitment to ensure that a student receives quality instruction, makes accelerated educational progress, and reaches or exceeds their academic goals. Associate Teachers will assist in the classroom and/or the learning center and assist in the supervision, testing, and instruction of students; relieve the teacher of administrative tasks; implementing a variety of instructional programs as assigned/supervised by a credentialed teacher (SPED support, ELD, intervention, skill development,etc): and perform other duties as assigned.
Key ResponsibilitiesAssisting Teachers:
- Assist teacher in the management of student behavior to ensure all students are fully engaged in learning and assessing
- Provide individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student as directed by the teacher
- Provide instruction to students with special needs in accordance with IEP utilizing support services as appropriate
- Motivate pupils to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a good foundation for elementary education
- Challenge and accelerate ALL students, no matter at what level they enter the classroom
- Assist teacher in assessing students and recording results
- Track student information and maintain accurate student records, including attendance, as directed by the teacher
- Create an atmosphere through personal example and efficacious relationships with students which inspire academic achievement and enthusiasm for learning
- Provide Instruction under the direct supervision of a certificated teacher or administrator
- Tutor students as directed
- Implement Voices Instructional Guidelines and Best Practices at all times
- Work collaboratively to achieve Voices’ vision
- Work cooperatively with staff toward resolution of mutual concerns
- Collaborate closely with other teachers, consultants, and the principal to improve own and others’ instructional practices
- Reflect, improve and collaborate with colleagues, parents and community
- Confer with teachers, parents and/or appropriate personnel for the purposes of assisting in student evaluation as directed
- Assist other personnel as may be required for the purpose of supporting them in the completion of their work activities
- Actively participate in professional development activities, including retreats
- Foster strong school morale and academic achievement
- Participating in collaborative with teacher and parents, grade-level activities, and school-wide functions, events, and trips
- Perform duties such as cafeteria, yard duty, traffic duty and monitoring/interacting with students during the work day as assigned for the purpose of providing a safe and positive learning environment
- Supervise and lead students independently as needed
Voices Academies Associate Teacher candidates will have the following
- NCLB compliant - AA degree or 48 semester units or passage of county competency exam
- Demonstrated passion for the mission, vision and values of Voices Academies with a deep commitment to improving the lives of students from low-income communities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Spanish.
- Outstanding written, speaking, and organizational skills with experience interacting with a broad range of stakeholders.
- Commitment to accelerated educational progress of children.
- Experience or commitment to public education, social justice, efficacy and equity.
- BA degree or Substitute Permit
- Knowledge of and experience working with low-income communities preferred
- Entrepreneurial spirit, flexibility, and demonstrated success in working with school-age children
- Understanding of dual language instructional practices and school design and the unique characteristics of public charter schools is a plus.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Google Apps
- Ability to work well independently and within a team environment; working efficiently, and exercising excellent judgment in making decisions.
- Tolerate high levels of stress
- 10 Month work schedule (September to June)
- Regular requirement to stand, sit, walk, talk, hear, see, read, speak, reach, stretch with hands and arms, stoop, kneel and crouch
- Lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Occasional evening and or weekend work
- Occasional travel
- Willingness to be trained as needed
Prior to Employment: Once an offer has been extended, a candidate must meet the following criteria to receive a final contract:
- First Aid/CPR Certification
- Clear Criminal Background Check
- Valid TB Clearance
- Tier 1: $16.85- $18.25 Tier 2 (w/ a sub permit): $18.25-$21.00
- Exceptional growth opportunities
- Medical, Dental, Vision Benefits (FT Positions Only)
- Reports directly to Principal, Teacher
- Permanent Non-Exempt Position
- At-Will Contract
- Schedule: 7:45 am - 4:15 pm (FT)
- Start Date: ASAP
If you have any questions about this position, please contact our hiring team by email at . Thank you.Voices College-Bound Language Academies is an equal opportunity employer.It is the policy of Voices to afford equal employment and advancement opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, citizenship status, medical condition, or any other legally protected status.