Horizons Unlimited of San Francisco, Inc., established in 1965, is a community-based organization located in the Mission District, and offers substance abuse prevention, treatment, employment, entrepreneurial, and gender specific services, for Latino and other youth of color, ages 12 to 26, and their families, residing in the Mission District and the city and county of San Francisco.
Position Title: Outreach/Engagement and Development Specialist
Reports To: Executive Director
Position Description: The Development Specialist is a critical component of Horizon’s leadership team and works in direct partnership with staff and youth, Board of Directors, and other community stakeholders to innovate, revitalize, and ensure the Agency’s financial sustainability and impact. Through internal and external leadership and interfacing, the Development Specialist will help chart Horizons’ future growth and strategic response to an ever-increasing demand for the agency’s services. In addition, this position will facilitate the conversation that the organization has with our communities and supporters about the work of our young leaders. Through building authentic relationships, the Development Specialist will create, and support the execution of, development strategy and related Board and staff involvement. The position will play a leading role in building the organization towards long-term sustainability.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Outreach and Engagement:
- In partnership with staff, management team, Board of Directors, and youth, serve as the lead for all outreach and engagement strategies.
- Work closely with staff to identify target populations and develop appropriate outreach materials in both Spanish and English.
- Build partnerships with other community based organizations, community leaders, and stakeholders to cultivate and expand Horizons’ presence in the community.
- Design and execute outreach initiatives and events to deepen the reach to underserved populations and those may not traditionally seek services.
- Develop presentation materials and social media presence and campaigns.
- Represent Horizons at community, corporate, and other citywide events and network to build the Friends of Horizons base.
- Manage external outreach, including updating the organization website and developing communications such as newsletters, e-blasts, and annual reports.
- Maintain a database of contacts for future outreach needs.
- Track outreach activities and input data into the CalOMS tracking system.
- Attend all Agency, funding source, and programmatic meetings, and report back on outreach activities.
Development Strategy and Board Engagement:
- Alongside the Executive Director, serve as the face of organization’s development efforts.
- In collaboration with management staff and Board, develop, innovate, implement, and execute an agency wide development strategy and budgets, with an emphasis on building the agency’s individual donor base to increase unrestricted funds.
- Provide support to Board of Directors, including developing and implementing individual and collective Board giving strategies and managing Board commitments.
- In collaboration with Board Chair, coordinate annual Board Orientation to ensure the successful engagement of Board members with the organization; including developing the Board binder.
- Manage information, communications, and cash flow for individual/corporate donors, general operating grants, and donor-advised giving; including maintaining fundraising tracking systems.
- Develop and manage Board Calendar and coordinate and attend Board meetings; including taking meeting minutes.
- Develop, plan, and execute large-scale, organization-wide fundraising events and annual appeal campaigns.
- Support Senior Directors in executing fundraising campaigns and developing a fundraising strategy for annual program events.
- Identify grants and serve as lead writer in support of organization’s development goals.
- Support Senior Directors in identifying and pursuing program grants and preparing applications; includes editing grant proposals.
Member of Leadership Team
- Exemplify leadership and support a culture of accountability organization-wide.
- Ensure cross-site collaboration and open communication on development strategy and
- Provide Leadership Team support as needed.
DESIRED SKILLS & QUALITIES
- Commitment to Horizons’ mission, sustainability, and a passion for youth
- Excellent verbal and written communication, and strong editing skills.
- Personable and passionate about building partnerships.
- Able to work with minimal oversight in a fast-paced, multi-faceted environment.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and problem solving abilities.
- Team player able to effectively and successfully lead projects and manage individuals at
- all levels.
- Detail-oriented, thorough, organized, professional, self-starter.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel, and familiarity with databases, performing queries, and social media platforms.
- Able to maintain confidential information.
- Familiarity with database management, social media campaigns, and website updating.
- Bilingual preferred; ability to write and translate materials into Spanish.
- 2-3 years relevant experience as a Development Associate/Coordinator or 1 years relevant experience as a Development Manager, or similar roles.
- Grant writing.
- Non-profit experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Must be able to pass a background check and TB test.
- Ability to work outside of normal business hours to attend events, meetings, network, etc. (evening and weekend hours required as needed).
- Occasional local travel required
Status and Compensation:
This is an independent contractor position with a potential timeline of up to 6 months and the possibility of extending subject period, contingent upon funding and performance. The hourly rate is between $25-$30 with a not to exceed dollar amount for this position is up to $20,000.
December 1, 2018
Open Until Filled
Submit cover letter, writing sample, and resume, via email, to: Celina Lucero, Executive Director: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Horizons Unlimited of San Francisco, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, culture, age, disability, gender, or sexual orientation.
Women and People Of Color Are Encouraged To Apply.