Please Note: Applicants that can work the first/last two weeks of camp will be given priority in the hiring process.
To Apply: Visit our site, download the application, and send a completed copy.
Day Camp Counselors play a vital role in the success of This Land Is Your Land Summer Day Camp. Each Counselor is matched to a group of approximately ten campers ages 5-15 for the week. Counselors lead activities, help their campers assemble their science projects, and ensure that each camper feels safe and integrated within his/her/their group as well as the larger camp experience. We are looking for people who are great with kids, like the outdoors, and have a positive and energetic attitude. Experience working with children and interest in science and nature are strongly preferred. You must have your own transportation and be reliable.
Why we hope you decide to work with us:
- For 25 years we have been one of the longest running award-winning summer camps in the Bay Area
- Have a blast outdoors this summer leading campers through toy building activities, hikes, swimming, group field games, and singing silly camp songs!
- Mentor future scientists and learn valuable teaching skills with a curriculum that will never leave you bored
- You choose which weeks you are available to work during the summer, the more weeks your work the greater amount of experience you will gain to help you build your resume
- Be a part of our fun, creative, and interactive community of directors, counselors, and campers who have grown with our program over the years
- Be a positive role model for This Land Is Your Land campers
- Provide leadership, guidance, and support to your group of approximately 10 campers throughout the day and week
- Assist your campers with their science projects, art activities, games, hiking, swimming, and outdoor play
- Participate in other camp activities like daily music time, two daily snacks, and lunch
- Team up with other Counselors and staff to help create a fantastic experience for all
- Assist with daily set up and clean up before and after camp
- Attend weekly staff meetings
- Attend two days of mandatory training that are TBD (Likely May 31 and June 1, 2019)
- Must love working with kids and be patient, caring, enthusiastic, and energetic
- Must have experience working with kids (babysitting counts)
- Demonstrate leadership qualities and be a team player
- Education: high school (must be age 16 or older), college, or graduate student
- Experience as a counselor or camper a plus
- Summer Camp at Roberts Regional Park in Oakland runs for 12 weeks (June 3 - Aug 23, 2019)
- Summer Camp at Tilden Park in Berkeley runs for 10 weeks (June 17 - Aug 23, 2019)
- Priority will be given to applicants who can work all or most of the summer camp season
- Further priority will be given to staff that can fulfill multiple roles (i.e. counselor and after care)
- Summer Day Camp main hours are 9am - 3pm.
- Basic Schedule - Monday: 8:00 am - 3:15 pm and Tuesday-Friday: 8:15 am - 3:15 pm
- Staff Meetings held one day/week (usually Tuesdays) from 3:30 pm 4:30 pm; attendance is required and paid
- Day Camp Counselors are not required to work in our After Care Program; however, we may occasionally ask for volunteers to help supplement our After Care staff
- Day Camp Counselors typically work 34 38 hours/week